Answer on a postcard please (pic)

mattrgee
mattrgee Posts: 157
edited April 2011 in The hub
My car is leaking oil after catching the sump at Rivington Pike in a dodgy parking space. Went to check the oil and the dam handle on the dipstick snapped off! So now I can't even check how much is left! Great.

Tried a few things this evening but no joy. I've now drilled a hole into the remaining plastic and threaded a screw in there, but it won't budge.

Pic below:

dipstick.jpg

And yes, that's my blood after loosing grip of the screw and hitting my hand against some metal. Trouble is, I can't thread the screw too far down the plastic as it will probably make it even tighter.

Suggestions on how I can get this dam thing out are appreciated.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Unbolt the dipstick guide tube and push the dipstick out from the oily end which should have enough exposed to grip hold of.
  • as above, can be a Real pita job though, especially if the pipes got a couple of bends in it!
    but, a new dipstick isnt too much coin from a dealer! - if you go to s breakers yard make sure you get the same model car and engine as both dipstic's and dipstic tubes vary in length!!

if you have any needle nose pliers you may be able to pull it out without the screw in it, (the screw will more than likely expand the plastic of the dipstic top)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    If it's the sump that's cracked and leaking, that'll need to come off anyhow for replacement or repair (replace is a much better idea IMV) - that'll give you access to the end of the dipstick tube.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    use a pair of pliers on the screw.. not your bare hand.. simples. 8)
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838