helmet and shoe cleaning

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited April 2011 in MTB general
ive got a set og Spesh BG comp shoes and a Spesh S-works helmet, both are covered in mud from winter and i think its about time i started to clean them up, mainly the helmet because its horrid! any ideas? just hose down and some fenwicks cleaner?

any ideas would be great guys and gals

Thanks!

Comments

• I always just hose em down, and wipe em dry (the helmet, not shoes).

As far as shoes, I put them in the bath, turn the water on full blast, then pop them outside to dry over night. If the cleats (with clipless pedals) are full of mud, maybe take them out and clean everything up, but other than that good to go. Washing machine also works fairly well for the shoes, long as you don't mind a bit of banging for a while!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get married.

Obviously I'm single.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Get married.

Obviously I'm single.

Epic :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If it's more ingrained crap on the shoes then Cif works well. Or get new S-Works shoes, they're shiny, they just wipe clean!
  • u05harrisb
    cool thanks for the ideas guys :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No problem and if you want me to check her out before you get married let me know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • u05harrisb
    haha considering im only 18 youll have to wait a fair while haha :lol:
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Get married.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    cooldad wrote:
    Get married.
    I don't see how this helps..... I am married and it is now much harder for me to clean my gear...... don't put the chain in the dishwasher, get the bike out of the kitchen, you're not putting those shitty shoes in the washing machine, get those stinking pads off the radiators.......
  • cooldad wrote:
    Get married.
    I don't see how this helps..... I am married and it is now much harder for me to clean my gear...... don't put the chain in the dishwasher, get the bike out of the kitchen, you're not putting those shitty shoes in the washing machine, get those stinking pads off the radiators.......

+ potato

Top tip though: If she gets too mouthy, just give her a good slap and lock her back in her cage with your shoes, a tub of hot soapy water, and a brush and tell her to get scrubbing!
  • pilsburypie
    Top tip though: If she gets too mouthy, just give her a good slap and lock her back in her cage with your shoes, a tub of hot soapy water, and a brush and tell her to get scrubbing!
    In the early days when I had a bit of fight left in me I'd have considered your suggestion. I now find it easier in the long run just to bow my head and take my stuff to rot in the garage......
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I hose down my helmet :wink: but put the straps and pads in the wasing machine inside a pocket on my shorts.

Shoes also go in the washing machine when the wife is out the house.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have been giving the bike a hose and brush after most rides this winter....and have been doing the shoes with the same method while they are still on my feet....

If the inside is manky, then take 'em off, hose 'em out and leave to dry.

helmet laughs aside (titter titter), i just let the mud dry, then it all falls off. Liner pads come out, so they get a soak in some soapy water, rinsed and left to dry...but actually...I don't think i have done this at all with my current trail lid...the full facer is a different matter....it smelled real bad after last summer, so the pads got taken out and washed in the machine.

<some other jokes about wifes and making sammiches>
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Get married... have kids... arrive home muddy... let 8 year old loose with the garden hose...

sorted (bike, shorts, jacket, shoes, driveway, neighbours driveway etc)
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I don't know how lucky I am - my wife never moans about any of my bike-related stuff, she's even cleaned my shoes etc. without me even mentioning it (but that's probably because she's seen them caked in mud for aeons).

If I'm ever faffing with the bike in the garden/garage and I need a hand with anything she's always happy to lend a hand. She's even nipped out to the LBS to pick up parts for me while I'm at work. We certainly don't waste money, but if I told her today that I was buying yet another bike, she'd wouldn't bat an eyelid.

She did used to go biking with me before the kids came along, so I think that's why she understands.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I don't know how lucky I am - my wife never moans about any of my bike-related stuff, she's even cleaned my shoes etc. without me even mentioning it (but that's probably because she's seen them caked in mud for aeons).

If I'm ever faffing with the bike in the garden/garage and I need a hand with anything she's always happy to lend a hand. She's even nipped out to the LBS to pick up parts for me while I'm at work. We certainly don't waste money, but if I told her today that I was buying yet another bike, she'd wouldn't bat an eyelid.

She did used to go biking with me before the kids came along, so I think that's why she understands.

Surely this is obvious TROLLING :shock:
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • pilsburypie

I don't believe you sir. Wives are meant to nag and moan and be unreasonable if they think you are having fun without them.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Best thing for a helmet is take it into the shower with you when you get back from a ride.

Shoes - water and a scrubbing brush.
  • pilsburypie
    Pirahna wrote:
    Best thing for a helmet is take it into the shower with you when you get back from a ride.
    Hmmmm, giving your helmet a damn good polishing in the shower........ We didn't really need to know that.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    I don't believe you sir. Wives are meant to nag and moan and be unreasonable if they think you are having fun without them.
    Nah - I'm with Johnny - get your other/better half out on the bikes (even if it's just the odd green trail/canal path jaunt) and then filthy kit around the house and expensive parts arriving out of the blue become non-issues.

Life is good.

slainte :lol: rob
  • Man some of you guys are lucky, My wife won't even get out on the bike for a short 20 minute ride somewhere, but always complains of being "too fat". Makes no sense!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,090
    Mine used to come out sometimes to places like cyb, but since the kids it's just simple rides only. But to be fair she doesn't moan too much about the dirty kit, etc
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i live on my own so i can do what i want, kit is always where i left it and my bikes have their own room :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    Get married... have kids... arrive home muddy... let 8 year old loose with the garden hose...

sorted (bike, shorts, jacket, shoes, driveway, neighbours driveway etc)

PMSL! I let my 4 year old "help" clean the bike last week. Seems like everything EXCEPT the bike got a soaking :)
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    pHz wrote:
    Nah - I'm with Johnny - get your other/better half out on the bikes (even if it's just the odd green trail/canal path jaunt) and then filthy kit around the house and expensive parts arriving out of the blue become non-issues.

Life is good.

slainte :lol: rob

Mine has an OCD for cleaning so can't even walk in the door with a spot of mud on me before getting the "get those clothes in the machine NOW" and YES I did buy her a bike but no chance of getting her out unless it's 30C outside and dry as a bone :)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Muc-off !