Weight vs Speed

Richo Chango
Richo Chango Posts: 6
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Just wondering how much difference a couple of kilos will make to the speed of my bike.

I'm building my first MTB and I've jumped off the deep end into the weight weenie pool :lol:

2011 Giant XTC
DT Swiss Tricon M 1700 wheels
DT Swiss XR 100 forks
Shimano XT Drive train
.... You get the picture.....

Basically it's the little things left to get
Handlebar, grips,seat,tyres,etc

Should I be weight conscious on these parts as well or just get the stuff that looks bling?
I don't want my bike to be all show and no go!
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once 

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Biggest performance gains will come from lighter tyres and rims
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you hammering the bike or a large rider? Are lighter and cheaper wheelsets than those DT.

Foam grips can save 100g for less thana fiver.
  • Anonymous
    What happens when foam grips get wet?
  • Anonymous
    Have a look at KCNC components, they seem very light for the money and get good reviews.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nothing at all, they're dense foam, not like sponge or owt.

Agree that those wheels are not a great choice if lightweight is your prime objective. Again if light is the primary objective then choose a light bar and stem, otherwise be guided by other factors!

Exotic stuff is a reasonable weight, or KCNC.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Ah, right.
    Hmm, in that case, I might get some. losing 100g off my bike would make a huge difference :lol:
  • supersonic
    Lol, pound for pound, about the best you can do. Especially when people buy Thomson stems for 60 quid and save, erm, nowt hehe.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Ah, right.
    Hmm, in that case, I might get some. losing 100g off my bike would make a huge difference :lol:

I got some nitrile ones for the commuter from Poshbikes (bit pricey imho), they were actually surprisingly comfy.
  • Thanks for the advice. True the wheels arn't the lightest. I guess a few 100 grams here and there is not going to make a huge difference to my bike's speed, unless I turn pro
    :lol:
  • supersonic
    If spending that amount of money though on an XC bike, I would get lighter parts rather than AM parts. Afterall the fork is a light XC based unit.
  • On a lighter note (pun intended), taking a dump before going out can save up to half a kg of excess baggage :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Oh stop talking sh*t :lol:

And besides, if that's as much as you're supposed to lose, then I'm definitely eating too much!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've jumped off the deep end into the weight weenie pool
    I guess a few 100 grams here and there is not going to make a huge difference to my bike's speed, unless I turn pro

/Contradiction

If you have a light bike and take a dump, you save even more![/quote]
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I managed to ditch 28 lbs of combined bike and rider weight in a year.

By doing nothing to the bike and losing two stone through regular riding and careful eating.

Great having a light bike, but losing some weight off the pilot helps too.