My first time: first self-build – Canyon/Record

celery101
celery101 Posts: 37
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Am about to embark upon building my first-ever bike and really wanted thoughts/advice on the spec and putting it together. Planning it has been fun and am about to make my credit card company very happy and order stuff.

So far, I'm planning on this:

Frame/forks: Canyon CF - comes w/Ritchey s’post and stem. Have spent weeks agonising over 56 or 58 and am going for a 58 (am a touch over 6ft with an 87cm inseam)
Gruppo: Record 11 (switching from Shimano cos performance levels apparently the same, but Campag lasts longer according to everyone and this bike’ll have to last!)
Handlebars: 3T Ergonova
Wheels: Campy Neutrons
Tyres: Michelin Krylions (cos they never ever puncture)
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Pedals: TBC (am using Shimano Ultegra on current best bike, but don’t think they fit with the bike as outlined above). Something black.

On the spec, my concern is Record might be a bit OTT and I could get Chorus and spend the extra cash on better wheels (or just not spend it). Also, with wheels, I just can’t see a huge advantage with the Neutron Ultras and the regular ones are loads cheaper, but would love to hear if someone thinks otherwise.

I’ve got most tools for my two regular (aluminium) bikes, but need a torque wrench and Campag BB tool (i think?). What are the other major things I need to think about or plan (aside from how to persuade my other half to let me put it all together in the front room!). It’d be excellent to hear any tips and pointers.

Cheers

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    IMHO, Chorus is good enough. Personally, Carbon Athena would be good enough for me. The reality is that Record really won't make your bike go any quicker, however, as you suggest, a higher quality wheelset just might.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I'm about to start my first self build with athena think you need(i've got so far) bb tool, cass tool and a bb cup tool but you could easily use something else.

for the money of that build you could get

this below budget

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2114

or

kick the arse out of it

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2122
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Henners1
    Henners1 Posts: 1
    If you are buying a Canyon frameset and separately buying the groupset and wheels I think you are running up costs unnecessarily. Canyon supplies complete high end bikes directly and I'm sure you'll find it better value to get everything from them in one go. It helps that they are a direct sales business and don't have any middle men marking everything up before it gets to you.
    I bought my Canyon team replica last year which was supplied with Record 11 and a set of full carbon Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheels for something like EUR4,300. Not exactly cheap I know but try sourcing the components, frame and wheelset separately and compare the price.
    Canyon also sell off older model bikes at a discount on their website.
    Hope this helps
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,849
    If buying a Canyon frame then get a race license! Only £70 and you will save 300 euros on the frame.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/service/sponsoring.html
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • I too have noticed the Canyon brand relatively recently
    Ive been fancying a new bike for a while and already have some tasty wheels

But as mentioned have you done the maths?

Heres your potential build:

Frame and forks £1149
    Gruppo - dont do record on the CF but go for Chorus - 750 @ Merlin
    Wheels Ksyrium ES 450
    Bars ??? 40
    Tyres approx 50

Total just shy of 2500 allowing for whatever Ive missed

Versus the CF9.0 @ 2169 already built

I like building bikes - but its just never the most cost effective way of buying :)
  • celery101
    yep, points taken about it being good value to get a ready-built canyon. but on my calculations it's marginally cheaper to get an outlet frame and reduced groupset and wheels (i.e.best online prices instead of rrp).

i reckon the original build can be done for 2250 and take 250 off that if record is swapped for chorus. doesn't include any extra tools i might need to buy tho.

a ready-built 2011 bike with chorus and krysiums is just over 2k and comes with a better seatpos and fork.

hellfire - i'm curious - d'you think record is too much for a CF (i.e. too good for that frame) or just that chorus is better value?

thanks cal_stewart for tools info - i guess i need to add that to the price - altho always good to have these i guess (assuming you stick with campag).
  • I posted Chorus purely because Canyon dont spec Record themselves

IMO you can run whatever you want on whatever you want however the law of diminishing returns will always get you

I dont 'do' Campag but would always buy Ultegra over Dura-ace just on value

I have a MTB with XTR and its lovely to use and makes me feel good
    However XT is just as good for someone like me on a pragmatic level

Its your money

Best of luck

Now Im off to check out the Canyon outlet again
    My current planned build has a 2010 F&F with Ultegra but maybe if I could get SRAM Red at a good price.............................
    LOL

BTW whats the difference between the 2010 and 2011 frames and forks other than shiny new graphics??
  • cal_stewart
    880 for the frame on outlet now thats a good price.

but still can't see a sub 2350 build with record

880 frame + 1000 groupset + 370 wheels = 2250
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • celery101
    course, i know it's my money and i can get what i want, i just wondered if you thought record looked a bit out of place on that build. really, i was after an opinion or two on here - and got that, so cheers.

s'far as i can tell the 2010 cf vs 2011 difference is one one four slx forks instead of regular oneone four - and the vcls seatpost - which costs a ton on its own and is sposed to be pretty good. graphics look like they just swap out orange for white - pretty similar.

have to say, having just read cycling plus bike of the year stuff - canyon make every bike there look expensive (i know the sizing doesn't suit everyone and neither does online only).
  • cal_stewart
    my sig bike has sr11 with the tiso upgrade and the frame is only a little better, so record is no over kill
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Here ye go!

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/outlet/article.html?o=A1009795

Ready and waiting for ye
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Cripes thats a good deal ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im still at the tyre kicking stage but you seem to be a bit further in your research

naturally the online thing is a concern, although the money back thing helps a lot

Im a bit spider-like myself
    Long arms and legs with shorter torso
    Ideally Id try but dont live near the M25

What have you found about geometry and sizing relating to different body shapes?

Cheers
  • celery101
    saw the red one in that link and it's a right bargain - but really do not like that colour (yes, i am that shallow - but if i'm forking out over 2k i really want to like the way it looks and i think the black looks ace).

anyway, i think it can be done for under 2.3k

frame/forks/stem/s'post - 750
    record 11 - 950
    neutrons - 335
    h'bars - circa 60
    saddle - circa 60
    tyres - 50

doesn't include cost of any tools and labour (lucky, i'm cutting myself a deal there).
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    celery101 wrote:
    saw the red one in that link and it's a right bargain - but really do not like that colour (yes, i am that shallow - but if i'm forking out over 2k i really want to like the way it looks and i think the black looks ace).

anyway, i think it can be done for under 2.3k

frame/forks/stem/s'post - 750
    record 11 - 950
    neutrons - 335
    h'bars - circa 60
    saddle - circa 60
    tyres - 50

doesn't include cost of any tools and labour (lucky, i'm cutting myself a deal there).

or just wait until the TdF and hope they have their sale like last year - discounts up to 50%, thats what I'm doing (but can't help looking at other options from Chinese frames, second hand Colnagos or Looks :roll: )
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • celery101
    sort of tempted to wait for TDF sale, but it might not happen and i've got itchy feet, having been planning/thinking about a new bike for aaaaages.

re the geometry question: main thing to factor in seems to be high front end - a lot of people size down and get a longer stem cos the canyon-specific headset makes it difficult to get the front lower. there's a lot of debate about stems and the HT/front-end.
  • cal_stewart
    kfinlay wrote:

won't that be 10sp and not 11sp
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    Functionally the general consensus seems to be that Chorus and Record are indistinguishable. From reading around I gather that above Chorus, Record has ceramic bearings in the cranks (not the top line CULT ones though), bearings instead of bushings in the brake calipers and a few ti cogs in the cassette which might actually be considered a weakness as the ti cogs wear much faster than the steel ones in the Chorus cassette. Still, there's nothing quite like having Record written everywhere on your bike :D

Campagnolo 2011 differences
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    All sounds fine to me, Canyon + Campag + Neutrons, the only thing I would change are your tyre choice. You should try Michelin ProRace 3s, if you haven't already, instead of the Krylions.

I use both and the PR3s roll better, with excellent protection from the sharp bits as well.

Regarding groupset, if you want to save some money then chorus is the way to go. Budget permitting, Record is an excellent choice, it's your bike, it's up to you.
  • celery101
    cheers giant mancp - a few mates have said the same re tyres - and i think i might end up going for pro3s. the only thing is i'm flogging my other 'best' bike so this will be my weekend ride and i'll hopefully rack up the miles (but not racing), which is why i thought krylions were more durable and offer better puncture resistance.

main thing now is really a call between chorus and neutron ultras or record and neutrons (or, gasp, both - altho i really don't want the budget to creep up).

will post some pix when it's done in a few weeks.

first time i've posted a question here - cheers for the advice.
  • giant_man
    Nice choices to make celery101, look forward to the pics man .....
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    celery101 wrote:
    cheers giant mancp - a few mates have said the same re tyres - and i think i might end up going for pro3s. the only thing is i'm flogging my other 'best' bike so this will be my weekend ride and i'll hopefully rack up the miles (but not racing), which is why i thought krylions were more durable and offer better puncture resistance.

main thing now is really a call between chorus and neutron ultras or record and neutrons (or, gasp, both - altho i really don't want the budget to creep up).

will post some pix when it's done in a few weeks.

first time i've posted a question here - cheers for the advice.

In that case GP4000S are a good choice, last much longer than Pro3 and more puncture resistant. 3000 miles easy.
    I too am looking forward to pics!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • giant_man
    GP4000s tear and pun$ture far too easily, imo PR3s are better.