Kona Jake 2010 replacement fork

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

I managed to go into the back of a car doing an emergency stop this morning, and it looks like I am going to need some new forks. I have a Kona Jake 2010 cyclocross bike and the spec sheet says the forks are Kona P2 700C. Have a google around it looks like these are Kona project 2 forks, does that sound right? They seem to come in at about £70, are there any other alternatives which are better at around that price? or should I just stick with what I know.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of forks will fit, if you have a look around you can find cheaper but not as good, or lighter (cabon) for more (generally), or you can go used and find something a little cheaper (but your likely to be off the bike longer).......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Some carbon fibre forks seem to struggle with canilever brakes and brake judder. Get a recommendation before you buy if you go that way. I think Specialized cured it on the TRicross by mounting the cable guide at the bottom of the head tube tather than the top.
  • Kona do a carbon cyclo-cross fork that was on the Jake the Snake 2010 model... I've never experienced judder with it... if you wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade the fork rather than replace that could be worth looking into... will be more than the non carbon variety though.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    The brake judder is very easy to cure - you need a small L-shaped bracket to fit tot he top of the fork and, possibly, a cantilever cable hanger. Both parts would cost less than £20 from Halfords. I also think the judder is exacerbated by certain makes of cantilever brakes, such as the old, less bulky, shimano or shorty 4

The most common, reasonably priced after market carbon forks are Columbus, Planet X and the Kinesis Crosslight. I'd probably go for the Kinesis, based on my excellent experiences with a Kinesis frame. Kinesis also do an alloy forks, plus you have the option of the Surly.

A carbon fork will reduce weight a little at the front and absorb a lot of the road vibration.

Chain Reaction Cycles have the Kinesis crosslight alloy for £70 and the carbon for £125, b ut if you shop around you might find a better deal.

Make sure the steerer tube is the correct width.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We have the brackets (sjcycles were cheapest) on my daughters commuter as it runs canti's on a frame that was originally V braked, so we run them front and rear.

£125 seems about normal for the kinesis carbon, I've seen a few sites all priced at that!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Deda Black Cross is carbon bladed with alloy crown and steerer and can be had for around £75. I have the similar spec Black Rain fork on my Kinesis T2 and it does the job of holding the front wheel on extremely proficiently while looking more expensive than it was. :)

on the topic of canti brake judder, I have a carbon fork on my cxcommuterroad bike and found that brake pads and correcty toe in on them were the major factors in reducing it. You can also fit the fork mounted hanger or try a longer straddle cable if you get this issue.