9 speed chain recommendation?

boggybrn
boggybrn Posts: 29
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm after a new chain for my Tiagra equipped CAAD9.

On my (much) older bike I fitted an SRAM chain. This had a snap together link and so was really easy to fit, and since fitting has been smooth & quiet.

So... will an SRAM chaim work OK on the Tiagra setup?

Also there seem to be a variety of 9 speed SRAM chains, at a variety of prices. I'm after the smoothest / quietest running chain that I can get. Does spending more money help with this, or does that just save a little weight?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say any 9 speed chain will work, including SRAM. You can use the relevant KMC link with any chain. Noise-wise, I'm not sure.

At the moment I'm running a 10 speed Mavic chain on my 105 equipped bike. It came with a joining link but it was rubbish so I used the KMC one instead. I think it's a bit noisier than the original chain, and occasionally not quite as quick to engage when changing up the cassette, but I'm a cheapskate and can't argue with the price.

3 Mavic chains for £30 at CRC, rather than £25 for one Shimano 105!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    kmc x9-sl in gold... lovely and very quiet
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    sram chain will be fine

in general, more money gets you hollow pins, or cut-outs links, saving weight, or better finish/surface coating (so shinier, should be more resistant to corrosion, maybe a smidge lower friction

pc951 - basic chain

pc971 - better surface coating (only on external plates)

pc991 - better coating again, but now on all plates, also hollow pin (this depends on which generation i think)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    KMC X9 (or SL if flush) plus a good lube. See merlin for good deals
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • boggybrn
    boggybrn Posts: 29
    Thanks for the advice. The kmc x9-sl looks very nice - but even at Merlin it still seems pretty costly!

I've just ordered an SRAM PC991 from Merlin. I'll see how that goes...