Rotor advice

specialized989
specialized989 Posts: 145
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi, i have got some shimano m575 disc brakes, and am just wondering if it is possible to upgrade the rotors to maybe a 180mm or a 2023, as they are both 160mm at the mo, but the mounts on the fork/frame are very confusing. what do i do to move caliper away from the fork/frame in order to fit a larger rotor? do i just stick some washers under the current position, or do i turn the mount round, or what?

:?

HELP
Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New adapters in the right size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You need to buy an adaptor. Depends on fork and frame mount design which you'd need, but say you had post mounts on the fork, something like

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13747 for a 203 rotor would suit.

You just need to decide whether you have IS or Post (normally post on front, IS on back confusingly) and what size you want to up it to. There should be a shimano adaptor for each combo you desire.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2023mm seems like a massive hike in rotor size :lol:
    Most frames are IS mount, and forks are a mix of IS and post mount.
    Adapters are available to fit pretty much any calliper to fit any frame or fork with any sized disc.

See here for more info.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • cooldad
    edited March 2011
    Even the jump from 160 to tiddly 203 might be a bit much. Big power lousy feel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346

Agreed, coming from someone who runs Codes with 203/185 on the AM bike
    Beware, 203mm is a LOT of front brake! I think 185/160 should suit most XC, trail type bikes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    Even the jump from 160 to tiddly 103 might be a bit much. Big power lousy feel.
    I assume you mean 203mm?
    The feel depends a lot on the brake, and the rider. Some people like the feel, others don't.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    575's become VERY powerful with 203mm rotors, only go there if you are really heavy or do some more extreme stuff or if you feel the need to taste dirt every time you hit the brakes :lol:

180mm rotor should be plenty for most riders, my dad just went down from 203 to 180 (only because I stole the 203 for the 224) and it still stops him fine and he isn't exactly light at all
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Even the jump from 160 to tiddly 103 might be a bit much. Big power lousy feel.
    I assume you mean 203mm?
    The feel depends a lot on the brake, and the rider. Some people like the feel, others don't.

Correct assumption, now corrected.

222222222222222222 now working fine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I agree too. Jumping from 160 to 203 is a big change. I think you'd be much better off going to 180. It's still a big difference in power but the handling should be better. Depends what you're riding too I suppose.
    Good luck.
    Many happy trails!
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    peter413 wrote:
    only go there if you are really heavy or do some more extreme stuff or if you feel the need to taste dirt every time you hit the brakes :lol:

You do know you don't have to pull the lever on all the way all the time don't you...
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i have had 203's 160's and 185's of the three i am most happy with the 185's
    they offer good stopping power no fade and they don't rub
    the 203' were a nightmare halfway through a day sounded like a bunch of geese following me around.

the 160's didn't give enough feel

the 185's stay true and give solid performance.

i have run some hayes mx 2 cable brakes
    hayes 9's
    and now avid juicy 5's

the avids also have the best mounting system of the 3
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    chrisga wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    only go there if you are really heavy or do some more extreme stuff or if you feel the need to taste dirt every time you hit the brakes :lol:

You do know you don't have to pull the lever on all the way all the time don't you...

Yes :?
  • Thanks for all the help guys. Errrm, just before i order some shiny new parts then, i just want to be certain that they will fit.

The mounts on the fork and on the frame seem to be IS mounts, (i think thats right, they have eyelets anyway) so im not too sure what to do to the adapters that are on the frame/fork to make a bigger rotor fit?
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    you buy an adaptor to suit
    have a look on chain reaction or similar you just pick the is mount that matches up size wise to your disc
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Check the bike/forks are warrantied for 203mm rotors if you're really going to go for the biggies.

Then just buy some of these to go with them

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=359