How much for a front brake bleed?

Jonnycrawford7
Jonnycrawford7 Posts: 56
edited March 2011 in MTB general
As title basically. Does bleeding brakes become a regular thing? in that case it may be worth shelling out on the avid bleed kit. If not, how much should i expect to be charged by my LBS. Cheers
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

2012 Cannondale Caad8 Tiagra

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not often, but cost to have it done is probably similar to a bleed kit, but once you have it you can do it again if needed, and you get personal satisfaction. Double win.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    The Avid one is about £40 IIRC, I got one off fleabay for 15 does the job perfectly well
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Is it a difficult thing to do? Baring in mind im a complete novice, Ive watched videos on YouTube and it doesnt seem too hard, but then thats because somebody very capable is doing it.

Ive not had my bike two months yet so im abit unsure whether they need doing or not, they just feel alot less responsive and abit varied in performance, maybe its all in my head!

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Some brakes do need a re-bleed after a while. I think it depends on the quality of the job when it was carried out by the mass production drones at the manufacturer.
    If you're going to get the front done, you may as well do both.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If there is too much travel (or mushy) at the levers they need bleeding, otherwise probably something else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • There does seem to be more travel in the levers, they are about parallel to the grips if not closer, when they are fully applied. Cant recall them travelling that far before

• ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Definitely learn to do them yourself - after you mess it up the first couple of times (maybe just me....) you'll fly through it from there on.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i paid £15 to have mine done by the lbs, a mate of mine bought a kit off ebay for £11 and does his himself, i'm just a bit of a fookwit with anything mechanical :lol:
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    There are plenty of vids & walk through s about on the net.

Bleeding Avid brakes are pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I don't think the cheap ones on the bay provide the piston spacers in their kits. The Avid one will also have the gubbins needed for shortening the hoses if you ever feel the need.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy