Nutrition on longer rides

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
What are the tips for fuelling as you go along? I've never ridden more than 20 or so miles, but am planning longer rides and was wondering what was recommended for various distances/times

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For rides up to 1-2 hours, you can generally get by on your body reserves and only need to take on fluids to maintain hydration. Beyond that, you need to supplement fluids with extra fuel otherwise you'll simply run out. A rule-of-thumb is to consume 1g carbs for every kilo of bodyweight for every hour of effort. If the weather is warm or you are working hard, you also need to keep your electrolytes topped-up. Fortunately, there are many energy drinks and foods available. Also bear in mind your training objectives - if you're riding your bike to lose weight, then you need to train to 'burn fat' - no point in taking-on more energy than you consume during your ride. Finally, a little and often is the key - riding for 2 hours and then stopping is too late - you need to start drinking eating after 20 minutes to maintain your energy reserves or you'll simply run-out and 'bonk' or 'knock'.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Can I presume there's plenty of homemade cheap alternatives we could make? Instead of buying energy drinks, is squash with a bit of extra salt and sugar enough? And including whole foods like peanut butter in sandwiches be enough for someone just starting out?
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    As Monty has mentioned, "are many energy drinks and foods available" I have found that some work better than others for ME! so it may be worth while experimenting, you do not have to buy the many Gels, and Bars available, some guys use Fig rolls, Kendal mint cake, jam and peanut butter sandwiches, the point is you need to take on carbs and to a lesser degree protein. Pre ride nutrition is just as important as well as post ride.

I always have porridge with honey and carnations milk 1hr before a 3hr+ ride with a protein shake.

post long ride another protein shake as soon as I get back with a cup of tea and a peanut butter sandwich, then after my shower and bike maintenance, Kippers with eggs and toast.

this routine works for me, you will have to find something that works for you, the key points are protein pre and post with Carbs during.

2 - 3 hrs I keep up the protine shake pre and post and skip the kippers but still have 2 eggs on toast.

Sub 2 hours a cup of tea and a slice of toast ( but this depends on the pace, never forgeting the protine shakes)
  • Cheers Roger. Sounds like a good starting point. Nothing lusher than a PB&J sarnie.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    These are great

handy and they keep you topped up.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Monty Dog wrote:
    A rule-of-thumb is to consume 1g carbs for every kilo of bodyweight for every hour of effort.

Is it really that much Monty? That would equate to 2-3 energy bars per hour at my bodyweight.

Not doubting you, just looking for confirmation, as it might explain why I tend to run out of gas around the 80 mile mark. Typically, I'm eating 1 energy bar (or similar) per hour.[/b]
  • fuzzhead1
    fuzzhead1 Posts: 41
    i did the london to cambridge last year. 60miles

i took a snickers bar, 2 bananas and an energy gel for the last 5 miles. worked for me.

tip. if you are going to use an energy bar of some sort, have it already opened while riding. saves you falling in the bushes
    :lol:

lib
    raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason i have trust issues
  • pawlo
    pawlo Posts: 22
    Jam & crunchy peanut butter on wholemeal bread. Miles nicer than the dog chocolate energy bars and cheaper too.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Can I presume there's plenty of homemade cheap alternatives we could make?
    Absolutely.

A few examples of real food you can take with you - banana, raisins, apricots, fig rolls, malt loaf, fruit/cereal bars, flapjacks, jellly babies. I've even seen someone post on here that they like taking croissants with them :D

Fruit juice mixed 50:50 with water or apple & blackcurrant squash (NOT sugar-free) works well for me, though you can go a long way on water alone, providing you have some calories from solid food.

Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere then there will always be shops where you can buy a snack, but I'd avoid processed things like meat pies and pastry, they're not easy to digest when you're exercising.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    My formula for continuous, long ( 4 1/2 hour, 90 mile ) training rides is two water bottles with carbohydrate powder mixed in plus one power bar.

I usually eat the power bar at one go after about 30 or 40 miles.

Seems to be about right for me.
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    Anything over 40 miles, 2 croissants, a toasted teacake, a banana, 2 cups of black coffee, 2 pints of water, 2 hours before i leave. When it kicks in it is like rocket fuel. every 20 miles a flapjack bar and plenty of juice. Over 60 miles replace juice with accelerade.
    This always works for me.
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Upto 50 miles, then you should consume about 2 500ml bottle of drink but that is really not enough, work out your sweat loss after a ride and replace with a similar amount.

On anything under a 30 mile ride, then nothing, just a single 500ml bottle of fluids.

30 - 50 miles, normally a cheap own brand nutragrain and maybe a banana, again try and drink as much fluids as possible.

Over 50 and under 70 Miles then a couple of nutragrain bars, a High 5 4:1 bar, Banana and again 3 x 750 ml bottles with High 5 4:1 in

70 miles + then try to drink 500ml minimum every hour and consume a protein bar or similar every hour, you'll still be in deficit, but I just find it impossible to eat too much more sweetness.

On long rides I carry small sachets of High 5 4:1 and then fill up with water where I can and add the powder.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You need to find your own mix of food and drinks.

I use cerial bars and NUUN tablets in the drinks on longer rides.

Up to 2 hours its not a problem.

A bag of high sugar sweets such as skittles has got me over a few tricky hills as well!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Simon E wrote:
    fig rolls
    Excellent! :D I absolutely adore Fig rolls so this is a good excuse to buy a sh17 load
    Simon E wrote:
    apple & blackcurrant squash (NOT sugar-free)
    That's handy, we always keep some in the fridge for when kids' friends come round (the nice "no cr&p" Robinsons stuff)

It's just a hill. Get over it.