RockShox Monarch 3.1 loosing air pressure

d3matt
d3matt Posts: 510
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've done some searching, but can't find anything. I'm sure I've read stuff on here before about Monarch rear shocks leaking.
Mine is now leaking air too rapidly. Went for a 3 hour ride yesterday and it lost a serious amount of air pressure. My pedals kept hitting the ground on the ride back!
Will have to approach Halfords and see if they will replace the shock under warranty. The bike is 6 months old.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Lots of people report that Monarchs leak Im afraid... This might become a common return for you!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • d3matt
    Just spoke to a Halfords store. They will remove the shock, then send it away to RS for a rebuild, which takes 14 days.
    Is this acceptable on a 6 month old bike which is under warranty or do I insist on a new replacement, therefore meaning I don't loose my bike for two weeks?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Quite reasonable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Mine was leaking from the swivel valve, I tightened it up with a good quality 9mm spanner problem fixed... Till I snapped it off one day when I wasnt being carefull pumping it up :oops:
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • d3matt
    GTD. wrote:
    Mine was leaking from the swivel valve

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look.
    I've decided to keep using it for a few weeks yet. As the weather is so nice at the moment, I don't want to loose the bike for 2 weeks. So I'll delay the shock rebuild until later in April - assuming we get April showers this year.
    Also keeping an eye on replacements on eBay too.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be careful though - warranty departments do not like people riding on known faulty items! Check first with them that this is ok.

In theory it should be.

Try tightening the valve core too.
  • d3matt
    supersonic wrote:

What (tool) do I need for that?

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    d3matt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

What (tool) do I need for that?

http://tinyurl.com/4h3x84o
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • d3matt
    Thanks guys. I didn't realise it was a car/schrader valve. I should have one of those tools in my toolbox, so will order one tonight.
    I like the Google animation. Very good.

• d3matt
    Reviving an old thread here...

My bike is now 12 months old and I still haven't sorted out my leaking Monarch shock. Sometimes it doesn't leak and can stay at the correct pressure for up to 3 weeks, yet other times (like last week) I can go for one 3 hour ride (always check pressure before a ride and make sure it's at 160psi) and the following day it's so flat that the suspension bottoms out when I ride the bike.
    So I'm going to give the shock a service myself. I've downloaded the guide and watch the YouTube video (here). I need to buy some oil and a seal kit.
    Should I be buying a full service kit or the basic kit? Theses aren't listed on the net very much. Seems the full kit is £38-46. I can't find any photos of whats included in the basic kit (about £25).
    The full kit...
    74a34475-0925-404f-88e2-9c2000bfc270_600x450.jpg

Bearing in mind that my bike is only 12 months old, and I've only done about forty three hour rides in that time, how many parts would you expect to need replacing?

I've also just seen that there is an air can service kit. Will I only need this to stop the leaking?

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The air can service kit should service. Don't touch the damper!
  • gtd.
    The basic kit contains everything in the pic above apart from the internal floating piston.

I bought mine from TF Tuned, I only needed the air swivel valve as I snapped mine off :oops:
    I bought the service kit as it was better value than just the valve.

I haven't bothered servicing mine as its working fine I occasionally clean and re oil but the seals are fine though mine needs the tune changing as its for the wrong leverage ratio.
  • d3matt
    Thanks for the advice. Been looking into this more and discovered....
    "Monarch Service Kit (full) intended for air seal and oil change/service to damper. Monarch Service Kit (basic) intended for air seal service only"
    Hence, I just need kit 11.4115.042.000. Found it contains this lot...
    SHOK8052.jpg
    However, I can only find two UK suppliers online who are listing this and it costs £37!!!
    Pleased that I don't need to buy the oil.

PS. Posted this before I saw your reply GTD.

• gtd.
    Try ringing TF Tuned, I got the basic kit from them in February they were £20.50 + P&P
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Rear-Shock-Spare-Parts
  • d3matt
    I'll ring them in the morning. Thanks for the price guide. They do look like they'll be the cheapest.

• gtd.
    Also if going off the SRAM video you dont need to remove the nitrogen port cap or deflate the nitrogen damper, just deflate the air can for a basic service.
  • gtd.
    Does anyone know what the differences in tunes are? different ifp? different oil weight or just different pressure on nitrogen side?

Strangely its not in the 2010 manual and the parts list doesn't list different parts for different tunes just different complete shocks
  • d3matt
    GTD. wrote:
    Also if going off the SRAM video you dont need to remove the nitrogen port cap or deflate the nitrogen damper, just deflate the air can for a basic service.

Thanks very much. I was thinking about asking that same question this evening!
    :wink:

• gtd.
    Here is a guide for air can service

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-service-ario-and-monarch-shocks-26080/

or

http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/rear-shock-service-rockshox-monarch-4-2

I've always slackened or tightened my air can by first making sure its deflated and turning the can by hand whilst its still fitted to the frame.
  • d3matt
    Thanks for the links. I've just ordered the basic service kit from TF Tuned and they came back to me saying the price is now £42. :evil:
    After a chat with them, I've ordered it as I suspect I have the Mk1 swivel valve which may be the cause of the air leak as its got worse since I've been checking the pressure (i.e. swivelling the valve out). The service kit contains a modified one.

• d3matt
    I've now got the "basic kit". Cost £45.98 delivered from TF Tuned.
    It is as pictured above and contains everything in the full kit, except the air valve cap bag and the internal floating piston bag. So I can see why the price is almost the same as the full kit.
    Still a lot of money though.

• d3matt
    I serviced my Monarch shock yesterday. It was very easy - the instructions made it sound more daunting than it was. I found that the blue sealing ring at the end of the air can was twisted slightly on one side, so it was nice to find something that was at fault. I replaced all the seals on the air can and at the top of the damper and replaced the swivel arm too. There was still new seals left in the bags which I couldn't find on the shock.