Mounting Screws (ultra-stupid question)

badhorsy
badhorsy Posts: 107
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

stupid question.

Does anyone know the type of screws that are fitted on the frame (for water bottle attachments etc)? I have a Specialized Secteur, so assume they are standard ones.

A couple of mine are corroded and I want to order some more, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for on wiggle...

Thanks

Comments

• rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Bolts. and they tend to be 5 X 0.8mm (M5)

there are never stupid questions. just some times answers. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Screws. Bolts have a shoulder on them. Screws are threaded all the way. The thype of head doesn't affect wether it's a bolt or screw which is the common misconception.
    Apologies for the pedantry.
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    OMG ! :roll:

@badhorsy Screws, Bolts, NUTS, Grapes, whatever I hope the link works for you!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Screws. Bolts have a shoulder on them. Screws are threaded all the way. The thype of head doesn't affect wether it's a bolt or screw which is the common misconception.
    Apologies for the pedantry.
    More Pedantry:

I have wood screws which are only partly threaded and have a cap head, therefore a shoulder. does this make them bolts ?
    I also have countersunk bolts which are threaded all the way up. Does this make them screws ?

A screw differs from a bolt in that it's tapered and pointed. A bolt will also accept a nut.

Pedantry over. :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved