Calling all Jedi Knights

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Just before the last census there was a 'call' out to non-religious internet users to put their religion down on the census as "Jedi Knight". I did it then and I did it again yesterday.

Did anyone else do it or am I the only Jedi on the forum?

Now, where did I put my light sabre?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd not heard of the attempts to get Jedi on the religeon list again this year, but I know the Cornish were trying to get that recognised as a seperate nationality.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If your religion is of low enough importance to you to that you are willing to put in a religion from 3 good sci-fi films from years ago, and 3 more recent rubbish ones,please consider ticking "No Religion" instead.

The data gathered is used to inform government policy, and was used by the last government to justify funding of religious community bodies over secular ones. For example, 2001 census data has been used repeatedly to justify an increase in the number of state maintained faith schools and the increasing level of government money spent on faith organisations.

By ticking 'No Religion', you will ensure that the Government receives an unambiguous message about the number of non-religious people in the UK. Any other response may be manipulated into a response in favour of religion and publically funded religious organisations.

http://www.yourenotajedi.com/
    http://www.humanism.org.uk/campaigns/census-2011
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited March 2011
    Nah, Star Wars is too important to be lumped in with religion :roll:

Edit: Now if they doing the census on May 4th then it'd be a different matter entirely
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Strange, there was a "No religion" option on my form that I would think would be a better fit for non-religious people.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I signed in Jedi Master, my g/f was a Jedi Knight & her daughter is a Trainee Jedi

The questions are already invasive enough as it is, might as well ask what political party you would vote for.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Strange, there was a "No religion" option on my form that I would think would be a better fit for non-religious people.

This.
    Its not particularly funny to f*ck with the census, your only giving grounds for greater investment in religion.

When mr stats man looks at religious Vs no religion, you've sewed the data, net result is that religious activities get greater government investment.

http://www.yourenotajedi.com/
  • bails87
    Pufftmw wrote:
    I signed in Jedi Master, my g/f was a Jedi Knight & her daughter is a Trainee Jedi

The questions are already invasive enough as it is, might as well ask what political party you would vote for.

That's the most invasive thing you can think of?! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I'd not heard of the attempts to get Jedi on the religeon list again this year, but I know the Cornish were trying to get that recognised as a seperate nationality.

Simon

My son is a Devonian and proud of it...

I am English not British.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691
    Pufftmw wrote:

Oh my sides!

Has it not occurred to any of the 'Jedis' that those collating the data may simply ignore the silly answers?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87

Simon

Your son is a Rundle and a Devonian and English and British and European. These things are not mutually exclusive.
    MTB/CX

• dhope

Nice to see some are still living in the dark ages, if a woman hit me I would not hesitate to hit her back etc etc.

Christ, you do talk some bollocks, picking and choosing which petty traditions to stick with and which to berate :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    bails87 wrote:

Simon

Your son is a Rundle and a Devonian and English and British and European. These things are not mutually exclusive.

According to a statistic I heard* there is a 10% chance JR's son isn't a Rundle. Does he look like the milkman?

*I can't remember where I heard the stat, but it said that 1 in 10 kids were fathered by someone other than the person who thinks they are the father.

• dhope
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

Oh my sides!

Has it not occurred to any of the 'Jedis' that those collating the data may simply ignore the silly answers?

Or, worse still, that the Jedi will simply be bundled in with Scientologists and any other minor (in numbers :wink:) religions. The overall 'religious' % will end up higher than it would have been with a real response and the pisstaking will skew the stats even more than they are already.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2011
    Oh good Lord no! It was nerdy enough of those who did it last time around, but to do it again!!! :shock:

starwars_kid.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

That's not what your passport says :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    dhope wrote:

Nice to see some are still living in the dark ages, if a woman hit me I would not hesitate to hit her back etc etc.

Christ, you do talk some bollocks, picking and choosing which petty traditions to stick with and which to berate :roll:

Tell that to a Scot or the welsh, My other son is Cornish, NOT English.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • bails87
    Err....He's Cornish AND English AND British.
    MTB/CX

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm half English, half Estonian, brought up in the USA (when I wasn't at boarding school in Warwickshire) and now reside in Wales.

I have entered a complaint that no appropriate boxes where available on the form.

Interestingly though, my daughter was born in Wales, speaks and reads Welsh (to an appropriate level for one aged 6 3/4) but I entered her nationality as English without thinking.....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have turned to the dark side, so, I am not a Jedi anymore....
  • EKE_38BPM
    bails87 wrote:
    Err....He's Cornish AND English AND British.
    ...and European and Terran and possibly the son of the milkman.
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have turned to the dark side, so, I am not a Jedi anymore....

In the words of Ant and Dec: "Lets get ready to rumble!"

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'm half English, half Estonian, brought up in the USA (when I wasn't at boarding school in Warwickshire) and now reside in Wales.

I have entered a complaint that no appropriate boxes where available on the form.

Interestingly though, my daughter was born in Wales, speaks and reads Welsh (to an appropriate level for one aged 6 3/4) but I entered her nationality as English without thinking.....

Both myself & my g/f are separated but still legally married and we're living as a common law couple - what boxes should we have ticked?
  • dhope
    Pufftmw wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Both myself & my g/f are separated but still legally married and we're living as a common law couple - what boxes should we have ticked?

Sith
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    edited March 2011
    dhope wrote:

Tell that to a Scot or the welsh, My other son is Cornish, NOT English.

Yep, they talk bollocks too if, banter with their more refined and eloquent English betters aside, they're actually that bothered. Generally if someone asks where I'm from I'll say London, because it's the more descriptive, geographically.

I don't particularly get the 'Proud to be Souf Landaan/English/British/White' (see what I did there?) mindset. Proud of what? There's certainly lots done by English people that is to be proud of, but it had nothing to do with them being English, it was just good work by people.

To trivialise a bit more, I was born into a Spurs supporting household. The three people I work with are
    1) A Gooner
    2) A Scot
    3) A bit middle class

It's all good for banter. Means little apart from that and certainly nothing worth defining myself over.

Sigh. See what posts I get into when I'm not in work for the morning.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mr. Rundle is quite right to be proud of his own heritage, and to encourage his kids to be proud of thiers; I speak as a proud Welshman, something properly denoted with a capital letter by the way. It says British on your passport because that is what you are in terms of an international political identity. Your ethnicity is another matter, as is your cultural identity.

Cornish and Devonian people have some case for claiming a different ethnic and cultural identity to the main body of the English, as historically they inhabited the Dark Age kingdoms of Dumnonia and later Cornwall, described by the Romans as the tribes of Dubonni* and Corvonii, ethnically Brythonic and similar to the Welsh and Breton people with whom they shared a similar language. In Wales and Brittany this survives, and was spoken until the 18th century in Cornwall, but has long died out in Devon, after King Aethelstan of Wessex kicked the remaining 'Welsh' (he referred to them as 'that filthy race') out of Devon in the 800s. Cornwall was possibly still being ruled by Brythonic nobility at the time of the Norman takeover.

I can't see the bit where Mr. Rundle wants to hit women, back or otherwise.

* They may well have pronounced the 'b' with a soft, 'v' sort of inflection.
  • dhope
    Mr. Rundle is quite right to be proud of his own heritage, and to encourage his kids to be proud of thiers; I speak as a proud Welshman, something properly denoted with a capital letter by the way. It says British on your passport because that is what you are in terms of an international political identity. Your ethnicity is another matter, as is your cultural identity.

Cornish and Devonian people have some case for claiming a different ethnic and cultural identity to the main body of the English, as historically they inhabited the Dark Age kingdoms of Dumnonia and later Cornwall, described by the Romans as the tribes of Dubonni* and Corvonii, ethnically Brythonic and similar to the Welsh and Breton people with whom they shared a similar language. In Wales and Brittany this survives, and was spoken until the 18th century in Cornwall, but has long died out in Devon, after King Aethelstan of Wessex kicked the remaining 'Welsh' (he referred to them as 'that filthy race') out of Devon in the 800s. Cornwall was possibly still being ruled by Brythonic nobility at the time of the Norman takeover.

I can't see the bit where Mr. Rundle wants to hit women, back or otherwise.

* They may well have pronounced the 'b' with a soft, 'v' sort of inflection.

See, I just don't get this :?

The bit about hitting women was from another thread
    http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/foru ... t=12767116
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    You're not a Jedi, anymore than my Son is Ben Ten (although he'd love to be) and Star Wars isn't real, it's a great film with a story woven together using Religions Greatest hits, and elements of Japanese Literature and old westerns.

Jeez, just play the game and be honest. This isn't a case of 'the man' looking into your affairs for some dark means - it's simply to make sure that the area you live in, has the right facilities to serve the people who live there and for historical records. Plus completing them is a condition of citizenship along with obeying the laws of the land and not hunting Swans.

They take oooo about 90 seconds to complete if you're of reasonable intelligence and are taken once a decade, or the same amount of time your passport needs renewing and that's way more hassle!

Are you from:

Devon, Cornwall, Wales (like me!) Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ooop North or Darrrn South? - Well here's the news - you're British - get over it or If you don't like it, write to your MP, start a petition or run for election yourself AKA put some effort in rather than just moaning about it.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    P-Jay wrote:
    You're not a Jedi, anymore than my Son is Ben Ten (although he'd love to be) and Star Wars isn't real, it's a great film with a story woven together using Religions Greatest hits, and elements of Japanese Literature and old westerns.

Jeez, just play the game and be honest. This isn't a case of 'the man' looking into your affairs for some dark means - it's simply to make sure that the area you live in, has the right facilities to serve the people who live there and for historical records. Plus completing them is a condition of citizenship along with obeying the laws of the land and not hunting Swans.

They take oooo about 90 seconds to complete if you're of reasonable intelligence and are taken once a decade, or the same amount of time your passport needs renewing and that's way more hassle!

Are you from:

Devon, Cornwall, Wales (like me!) Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ooop North or Darrrn South? - Well here's the news - you're British - get over it or If you don't like it, write to your MP, start a petition or run for election yourself AKA put some effort in rather than just moaning about it.

+1 Excellent post..... For a Welshman!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Supposedly 60+ thousand entered religion = Jedi at the 2001 census.
    Probably about the same number as registered religion = cricket.

We have Wasim Akram as the head of our church with David Gower as his deputy - do you have anyone remotely as impressive?

No way, say I.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Each others :wink:

Alternatively, option 3 of question 4; ''separated, but still legally married.''
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    P-Jay wrote:
    Star Wars isn't real, it's a great film with a story woven together using Religions Greatest hits, and elements of Japanese Literature and old westerns.

Shame that it wasn't written 2000 years earlier eh? :wink: