Improved wheel performance

andyjr
andyjr Posts: 635
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Have been riding my trek 1.2 for a few months now & I was looking at improving things abit. Currently the bike has these as it wheels/tyres which it came with:

Wheels Alloy hubs; Bontrager Approved alloy rims
Tires Bontrager T1, 700x23c (43cm: Race Lite, 650x25c)

How much of an improvement in performance would be seen if I changed those for a set of Fulcrum Racing 5's and GP4000 tyres?

Comments

• rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    FR 5's are a good wheel set, replacing your wheels and tires will make a difference, I would however consider waiting a little longer and save a few more quid and see if you can get the 3's. If it's outside your budget then the 5's will be a good buy.
  • andyjr
    Cheers for that. The 3's would be nice but I'm not sure the budget will strecth that far
  • I have a similar entry level bike and found just even changing the stock tyres made a big 'noticeable' improvement.

I went from Kenda > Michelin Lithion 2's.

Got some Mavic wheels on route so will again upgrade tyre's and tubes...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Fulcrum 5's are a good wheel (should last ages with the possible exception of the bearings) but they're not all that light so you probably won't notice a huge difference over your current wheels.

If you can save up for some Fulcrum 3's or Shimano RS80's (both available around £300) then buying them will make a big difference to the feel of the bike.

In the mean time, stick some GP4000S on the wheels you have, enjoy the extra grip and ride your current wheels until you destroy them. :D
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Fulcrum 5's are a good wheel (should last ages with the possible exception of the bearings) but they're not all that light so you probably won't notice a huge difference over your current wheels.

If you can save up for some Fulcrum 3's or Shimano RS80's (both available around £300) then buying them will make a big difference to the feel of the bike.

In the mean time, stick some GP4000S on the wheels you have, enjoy the extra grip and ride your current wheels until you destroy them. :D

+1
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • andyjr
    cheers guys. I'll look into getting a pair of GP4000's and i'll save my money & buy a new set of wheels in 4-6 months time