Where the cobbles at?

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
Now maybe i'm on my own but when i'm out on the road bike I hunt down cobbles, its like i'm riding Essex to roubaix.
Anyone feel the same if so I was gonna put down the bits i've found so far (just one good bit so far) and maybe everyone could do the same.

stony lane in thaxted, cobbled climb about 100 metres long

Comments

• explosifpete
    Edale, peak district
    Nice climb up to the youth hostel with a cobbled strip up the middle, nice but you have to turn round and come back when you get to the top

53.371174,-1.788658
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    Swiss Hill, Alderley Edge
    great little climb
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    The Buttress, Hebden Bridge up/down which the Pennine Cycleway is not-so-cleverly routed.

buttress.jpg

buttress_halfway.jpg
    Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! ;)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    ^ That is wicked, looks like the Koppen/Kemmel/Paterberg stylee.

Does it lead anywhere? That is, can you make it part of a road race or sportive route? or is it a walking route only? Is it about 300 meters or longer? From the pix it looks to be about 250-300 meters long. Any idea of the elevation gain? Me likee. Luckily I'll be getting a fix this weekend.

We should all co-author a "UK Pave" book like the guy who did the 100 climbs. This one would surely be the queen secteur. Does anyone know of a worse bit than the above?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Obviously Edinburgh New Town. Ever ridden their FJ?

Far too little proper pave in London. Wapping has some serious stuff but not enough of it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    mrchrispy wrote:
    Swiss Hill, Alderley Edge
    great little climb
    great cobbled hill that

other, short, ones:
    Chapel-en-le-Frith, Church Brow:
    53.323882 -1.914593

Sheffield, Paradise Street:
    53.384032 -1.470065

Quite eager to make a visit to Hebden Bridge/Halifax; loads of cobbled hills there.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Guildford High Street! It's rather heavily trafficked normally, but there's a race there every July. The circuit is simple - ride up the cobbles, ride down the tarmac, repeat.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734

Yeah, we're that hard core into pave we've even employed a German contractor to come and dig up the normal roads and make them really bumpy, they're doing it under the guise of building a tram system, so don't tell anyone.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Have a look at this if you like cobbles. It happens this Saturday...http://crossjunkie.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-ronde-van-oost-lancashire-2nd.htm[/img]
  • explosifpete
    I love the pave! I do go right out of my way to link tiny sections in my rides,
  • explosifpete
    I love the pave! I do go right out of my way to link tiny sections in my rides,
  • explosifpete
    The Buttress, Hebden Bridge looks amazing, i'll have to make a trip up in the summer.

I like the idea of the book
    :D
  • explosifpete
    The Buttress, Hebden Bridge looks amazing, i'll have to make a trip up in the summer.

I like the idea of the book
    :D
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    thecrofter wrote:

Yeah, we're that hard core into pave we've even employed a German contractor to come and dig up the normal roads and make them really bumpy, they're doing it under the guise of building a tram system, so don't tell anyone.

Yes, the edinburgh roads are a complete shambles. Very smashed up indeed.

The Germans must be having a laugh at the deal they're on up there!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Beeston Brow in Pott Shrigley.
    Never been up it, but I've been down very slowly. It's well over 20% in places, very narrow too. Good luck!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    pickled wrote:
    Beeston Brow in Pott Shrigley.
    Never been up it, but I've been down very slowly. It's well over 20% in places, very narrow too. Good luck!
    That's in Bollington, isn't it? If so, I rode up that a couple of weeks ago; it's definitely steep, but I was a bit disappointed with the cobbles. Only a tiny bit, 10-20 meters or so, at the bottom and midway is actually cobbles, the bit in between just some sort of concrete with stony bits in it.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Ah yes, so it is. :oops:
    I said Pott Shrigley because I'd just come from there!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    ^ That is wicked, looks like the Koppen/Kemmel/Paterberg stylee.

Does it lead anywhere? That is, can you make it part of a road race or sportive route? or is it a walking route only? Is it about 300 meters or longer? From the pix it looks to be about 250-300 meters long. Any idea of the elevation gain? Me likee. Luckily I'll be getting a fix this weekend.

We should all co-author a "UK Pave" book like the guy who did the 100 climbs. This one would surely be the queen secteur. Does anyone know of a worse bit than the above?
    Looking at an OS map It is roughly 300 metres in length and it gains roughly 60 metres so it is tough!

I've never seen anybody manage to ride up it despite it being on the Pennine Cycleway route.

I definitely do not recommend anybody riding down it. Forget your bravado - stopping once you get going would be almost impossible and it opens out straight onto a road at the bottom. I tried it when I first started cycling and didn't know how steep it was. I was braking in terror with my back wheel lifting. I saved myself by grabbing the handrail. You could get very seriously hurt, or kill one of the many pedestrians who walk on it.

Riding up it on a road bike though - now that would be a challenge.

The Buttress opens out onto a pavement and a road at the top.

The pub at the bottom used to organise a straw bale race up there. I once watched a bunch of lads with pints in their hands looking up the slope and shaking their heads. Then a young woman grabbed a bale and started staggering up the thing. Suddenly she had 4 or 5 of them in pursuit! ;)

I reckon it would make a fantastic hill climb challenge except that 99% of riders wouldn't even make the first section which is close to 30%. I got a very fit young mate to have a go and he failed. It is very difficult to get started again once you've stopped.
  • VerwoodAsh
    VerwoodAsh Posts: 196
    Gold Hill in Shaftsbury -

76-gold-hill-shaftesbury-by-mredmond-2008-lrg.jpg
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    Gold hill used to be on my regular commute home, its a ncie little climb and to be honest i could have taken a different route but I liked the buzz of the tourists clapping when you sailed up it ! quite an ego boost when you've had a tough day at work. I still ride up it and its pretty easy . ive watched the tour of flanders on the mur koppelmur and its a far cry from that beast but would lend itself to a nice sportive route ( with an alternative easy route to accomodate les brave riders)

In my view this would be a great addtion to the longleat endura sportive and would mean re routing away from the A303 section which was pretty awful anyway.
  • explosifpete
    Gold Hill in Shaftsbury, looks so nice. I think a tour de cobbles will be on the cards this summer
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Can I just point out that you are all insane.

My commute to work includes about a 100m section of cobbles over a footbridge on the Ribble.

I spend those 100 or so metres thinking "respect to the pro's" and thank god it's over as I exit the other side.
  • Jonny7c
    Jonny7c Posts: 35
    Shibden Wall near Halifax is in the 100 climbs book and I can vouch for it being very difficult. Big gappy cobbles and very steep!
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Wales' own pavé...

Constititution Hill, Swansea city centre..
    tricky dry, even trickier when wet..

Constitution_Hill_Swansea_2010_Tour_of_Britain.jpg

2010-09-15-tour-of-britain-constitution-hill-cycling.jpg

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 9&t=h&z=18
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Croxted Avenger
    Croxted Avenger Posts: 837
    edited August 2012
    If you want cobbles you could always sign up for The London Classic http://www.thelondonclassic.org
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • explosifpete
    I would of ridden that but its full :(
  • The Lincoln Grand Prix Sportive finishes on the cobbled climb of Michaelgate outside the Cathedral and then returns to the HQ on Minsters Yard. Steep but levels out for the actual finish almost outside the cathedral, so anyone dying can just keep riding straight on, into the cathedral, stick your head in the font and have a quiet sit down.