M1 J24 Sunday (27th March) 'bout 5:30

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
To the two guys riding 'round the roundabout - the nutter shouting from the Audi about the cycle path was me :D (not some idiot Audi driver shouting about the cycle path)

ummm....

Well look - that roundabout is lethal: you have the slip roads on and off the motorway, two dual carriageways and two main A Roads (A6 and A453) all converging. I thought they were taking their life in their hands cycling round the bloody thing, even on a Sunday afternoon.

Some bright spark actually put in a usable cycle path to get you all the way 'round safely and I thought maybe you didn't know about it.

Mind you... I did feel a bit of tit. :oops:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Angry car driver are you !

It is perfectly acceptable for a cyclist to use the road ?
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    fossyant wrote:

You're so angry you got your question and exclamation marks mixed up :lol: .
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    fossyant wrote:

No, cage them in to tiny cycle paths!

I'd probably have used the cycle paths the OP talked about if it the motorway was busy and lots of cars flying up the slip road.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    To the two guys riding 'round the roundabout - the nutter shouting from the Audi about the cycle path was me :D (not some idiot Audi driver shouting about the cycle path)

ummm....

Well look - that roundabout is lethal: you have the slip roads on and off the motorway, two dual carriageways and two main A Roads (A6 and A453) all converging. I thought they were taking their life in their hands cycling round the bloody thing, even on a Sunday afternoon.

Some bright spark actually put in a usable cycle path to get you all the way 'round safely and I thought maybe you didn't know about it.

Mind you... I did feel a bit of tit. :oops:

S'not your job or responsibility to tell people how to use public infrastructure is it?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    S'not your job or responsibility to tell people how to use public infrastructure is it?

I've got all the lurgy snot anyone could ever need if that helps... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pah, bloody cyclist hating Audi drivers :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I've ridden round that roundabout plenty of times in the past (not yesterday though) and it's not that big a deal. There's traffic lights all the way round so nobody goes too fast and there's plenty of visibility. I've never felt particularly vunerable on it anyway.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    It's not that bad a roundabout, feel safer riding round that than I did riding around the toyota roundabout at the A38/A50 junction, not that I ride round it much, although I have a couple of times before for stupid reasons and it wasn't pleasant, lunatic drivers going well over the 40mph limit on it.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    To be honest, I would not want to cycle across either of the above roundabouts. Whilst there are traffic lights, the fact that it is a 6 lane (in parts) behemoth of a roundabout means I wouldn't be too comfortable on it.

The toyota roundabout, well it's more two long straights with two fast bends, not a roundabout!!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Its bad enough going round it in my big fat Audi let alone on a bike.
    This is an occasion where i would use the cylce lane to be honest.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Surely the point is it's your own decision, the last thing you need is someone else yelling at you from their car making it more intimidating.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just to clarify - I was advising them of the cycle lane, in case they didn't know about it - so they had the choice.

That particular roundabout scares the willies out of me, and I thought that the two guys may also be worried about cycling around it rather than take the cycle path.

I actually shouted something like "do you know about the cyclepath over there that makes it safer?"
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Thing is, if someone shouted that at me I would assume it was someone on the usual "use the cycleway" rant as that's exactly the sort of wording they tend to use.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Please pay careful attention to the last line of my original post... and also consider the reason for my posting here :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • iain1775
    iain1775 Posts: 98
    and also consider the reason for my posting here

I give up what was your reason for posting here?
    To make a bigger tit of yourself than you already have done?

I'd suggest keeping quiet next time and let everyone go about their own lives the way they want to, much as you should be doing maybe concentrating on your own navigation of the roundabout than advising others

The cycle lane there isnt the best either, several sustrans volunteers I know have commented about it in the past
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Please pay careful attention to the last line of my original post... and also consider the reason for my posting here :oops:

Since most cyclists only get abuse from motorists there's not much point in shouting at them from your car regardless of what you have to say.
    More problems but still living....
  • Kieran_Burns
    iain1775 wrote:
    and also consider the reason for my posting here

I give up what was your reason for posting here?
    To make a bigger tit of yourself than you already have done?

I'd suggest keeping quiet next time and let everyone go about their own lives the way they want to, much as you should be doing maybe concentrating on your own navigation of the roundabout than advising others

The cycle lane there isnt the best either, several sustrans volunteers I know have commented about it in the past

Yes.

(and the lights were red, so we were at a standstill (so nuh)
    aaaaand I agree. :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I think it was very commendable and civic minded of you. If more people realised they are responsible FOR each and not TO each other the world would i believe, be a better place.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    :

Audi drivers - the new swines of the road?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12752445