Riding with a flatspot?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited March 2011 in The workshop
I've got a bit of a flatspot on my rim - nothing awful but definately noticeable and can feel slightly bumpy when freewheeling.

The dip seems to be a couple of mm, and I havn't been successful in pulling it out, and doubt it's a realistic expectation.

I will be buying a new wheelset at some point, but is there any real issue with me continuing to ride with the wheel like this?

Bear in mind it runs fine within the brakes and the wheel doesn't touch the pads at any point.

Cheers.
FCN: 6

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I'd say no real issue.
    Often you get the brake grabbing in these cases (due to dimples in the rim, perhaps?) but if that isn't causing any problems then it's probably just going to be annoying.

You might experiment with a taller tyre, if that's an option. My thinking is that it would reduce the effect of the "dip" in the rim...

Cheers,
    W.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Cheers for that, thought as much really.

I'm currently riding vittoria rubino 23's and they stand quite tall so is definately less noticeable once the tyres on.

No issues with the brakes at all, I'm sure it makes me less efficient in some miniscule way I'm quite unconcerned with!

As ever, a fountain of knowledge.
    FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've had an ever so slight flat spot for well over a year now, generally I feel it when freewheeling or descending on long flat roads, so seeing as that rarely happens it's not a problem :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    a good wheel builder can solve this problem so long as the rim is not damaged
    your wheel is out of radial true (ie not round) as opposed to lateral true (sideways true),
    a wheel which is not true is potentially a weakened wheel and can cause greater wear and tear to the spokes, nipples and hubs.
    a good wheel is one which is uniform.
    uneven tension, trueness or worn bearings can all lead to premature failure of the wheel.
    i would firstly remove the tyre from the wheel and do a visual inspection of the wheel without the tyre (imperfections in the tyre either due to manufacture or wear can make a wheel look out radial true)
    if it still looks wrong take it to a wheel builder to get it corrected if it bothers you.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    If you're getting a new wheel soon, why not try to sort it yourself?
    As Spoke Wrenchs go, I prefer a Spokey...

Starting at the valve hole, slacken each spoke by half a turn (clockwise if you're using a spoke wrench), then do it again.

Find the flat spot and slacken the spokes further that are associated with the flat spot, i.e. find the lowest point of the flat spot and give that spoke another half turn clockwise, then repeat on the next spoke(s) by half that amount again. A wee bit of masking tape on the 'worst' spoke can help you from geting lost.
    Tighten (anti-clock) the spokes opposite the flat spot by corresponding amount.

Bring the wheel (slowly) up to tension using quarter turns, (start at the valve hole and go completely around the wheel). Give a little bit more to where the rim is high, a little bit less where it's low.

Easier with tyre and tube off the wheel, and in a jig, but the frame and brakes should suffice for a bodge.

Good luck :wink:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I think we're talking about a damaged rim, rather than one that's out of round or off-centre, hence the reference to pulling it out, rather than trueing the wheel.

If so, it may be possible to fix by removing the rim, supporting it appropriately and knocking it back out to the right shape but from what I've been told this is unlikely to produce good results, despite being a lot of work.
    I am, of course, going only by the OPs description and my limited experience.

Cheers,
    W.