Who stole the warm?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
What the hell???? :shock:

I had ICE.

Get that: ICE forming ON me this morning.

My brake levers were iced up, my BRAKES were iced up. My legs had a coating and I was fecking FREEZING! (completely misjudged the weather and didn't wear my overshoes with road shoes)

Friday, I was cruising in glorious sunshine in just my shorts. This morning I can barely see a damn thing for the fog and ICE.

DId I mention the ICE?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Have you moved to Scotland?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    T-shirt for me this morning. Just the right temp.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    brrr. took one look out of the window and just took the car (i feel terrible) -3 in the car after i defrosted it. not good.
    back on the bike tomorrow i hope?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Kieran_Burns
    The amount of cars looming out the of the fog with no lights on, and the numpties with the postcard sized hole in the ice on the windscreen....

I almost bottled it because of these guys, not because of the weather. Very scary.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The amount of cars looming out the of the fog with no lights on, and the numpties with the postcard sized hole in the ice on the windscreen....

I almost bottled it because of these guys, not because of the weather. Very scary.
    Conversely I was behind a car this morning that had their fog lights on in bright sunshine :roll:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Top tip reminder - Always check the conditions (with wind chill) before dressing!

A bit late for today but maybe for tomorrow and so on?

Shades and full bib tights may seem at odds but a likely scenario first thing at this time of year 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb wrote:

Conversely I was behind a car this morning that had their fog lights on in bright sunshine :roll:

The law of fog-light conservation: For every person that doesn't use their fog-lights when they ought, there must be a person who uses theirs when they shouldn't.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I got a bit caught out too this morning - sunny buy chilly in Cov. After rubbing my hands together to warm them up at a set of lights for the 3rd time, I realised that it's effectively an hour earlier than it was when I rode in on Friday, so no surprise it was a bit chillier!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it was bleeding cold here this morning too

it was a proper foggy mixed with sub zero temps

supposedly weather forecast says it will be 14C later
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:

and therein lies the problem: popsicle on the way in, parboiled on the way home.

I love our weather me.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    suzyb wrote:

The law of fog-light conservation: For every person that doesn't use their fog-lights when they ought, there must be a person who uses theirs when they shouldn't.

It's always people in silver and white (i.e. "fog" coloured) cars that don't have any lights on when it's foggy too. :evil:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    aye it does seem to keep you on your toes

i thought it might be because the clocks went back, so the sun wasnt as high?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ice on the windscreen this morning, (yes I bottled cycling, but mostly as I'm in the nose running like a tap phase of a cold) and thick fog for half my journey, then bright sunshine for the second half (so no doubt some people wondered why I had fog lights on for the 1/4 mile or so until I decided it was staying clear!) - The whole journey is only 6 miles! - bizzarre!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    mudcow007 wrote:

and therein lies the problem: popsicle on the way in, parboiled on the way home.

I love our weather me.

Layerings the way to go...and a larger rucksack to bring it all back from the office on the way back :?
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    We got rid of our 2nd car at the weekend and then magically i come down with worse case of man flu - couldnt breathe on the commute this morning, but still glad the care is gone!!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm not the only to wake up with both supplementary air intakes full of snot and realise it wasn't tee-shirt weather a little too late
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Aye it was a tad chilly this morning, seemed like a slight breeze too but of no fixed direction.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Can you see my wife's feet from your house? Most efficient heat exchanger on the planet, could put a frost on magma.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    So that's why I was so cold this morning! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    We (the Dutch) did! I've been sitting on a sunny balcony in my tshirt all afternoon. Rode my bike to chiropractor in a sweatshirt this morning. And just so you are forewarned, we plan on doing so tomorow as well, maybe even better...

Libraio
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I suspect this forum has at times become so negative it bends the normal rules of space and time and sucks the sheer warmth out of the universe at large temporarily pulling in cold northern european winds particularly to make poor burnies bollox freeze to his saddle :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    I suspect this forum has at times become so negative it bends the normal rules of space and time and sucks the sheer warmth out of the universe at large temporarily pulling in cold northern european winds particularly to make poor burnies bollox freeze to his saddle :D

Exsqueeze me?

I'm the most positive person on here 8)

I'm so pussitive I purr.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629

Exsqueeze me?

indeed you are - its the positively awesomeness of your cape wearing that attracts the negative cold weather - retaliation against your upbeat demeanor :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns

Exsqueeze me?

indeed you are - its the positively awesomeness of your cape wearing that attracts the negative cold weather - retaliation against your upbeat demeanor :D

Ahhhh bollocks.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Libraio wrote:
    We (the Dutch) did! I've been sitting on a sunny balcony in my tshirt all afternoon. Rode my bike to chiropractor in a sweatshirt this morning. And just so you are forewarned, we plan on doing so tomorow as well, maybe even better...

Libraio

Ah Den Haag.

Life is very good there.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Lovely and sunny here in Caversham, but still not as warm as it was in the 3 Valleys last week. It was slush-boarding on the lower slopes and it's the first time I've had to pick grass out of my bindings at the end of a day !
    Misguided Idealist
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    What the hell???? :shock:

I had ICE.

Get that: ICE forming ON me this morning.

My brake levers were iced up, my BRAKES were iced up. My legs had a coating and I was fecking FREEZING! (completely misjudged the weather and didn't wear my overshoes with road shoes)

Friday, I was cruising in glorious sunshine in just my shorts. This morning I can barely see a damn thing for the fog and ICE.

DId I mention the ICE?

Yes me too, unfeasibly cold & I completely misjudged it. It took me ~10 mins to thaw my hands enough to get changed. Just right on the way home tho
  • I don't know who stole it but they need to bring it back, and they can take away the freezing mist whilst they are at it!!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    mudcow007 wrote:

I love our weather me.

That's why I have a pannier and windproofs. Comfortable in both directions.
  • dbigelow
    dbigelow Posts: 4
    It keeps going from spring warmth and sunshine to rain and snow weekly where Im at...so i have no pity. been driving cuz the weather seems to be moody and indecisive on a daily basis...i get enough of that from my girl.