pannier bag sizes

willy-style
willy-style Posts: 52
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
What size pannier bags do you use on your bikes, for shorter trips (long weekends) and for longer 3/4/5 week trips? i currently have a pair of 23l bags, and intend to buy another pair.
I cant decide whether to get a larger set for the rear and put the 23l bags on the front, or keep the 23 l bags on the rear and buy some smaller ones for the front... suggestions and experiences please...!
thanks

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Depends on how much gear you plan to carry. If you plan to carry full camping gear on longer tours than get the larger bags.
    We use the smaller bags on day rides for rain gear, thermos with tea, sandwitches, small air pump, small repair kit, etc...
    We will someday use only the larger rear bags and handlebar bags when we eventually go on B&B tours without camping equipment.
    So I would get the larger bags for greater versatility
    More details and pics on our website.
    cheers
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Get whatevever size suits in terms of the volume of luggage AND also whether there is going to be 'heel overlap' with large bags.
    T Farr
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'm slightly I confused: 'standard' rear panniers held between 40 and 44 litres a pair and front panniers about 25 litres a pair. Do you have a pair of front panniers? Or are you quoting the volume for a single pannier?

If they are 25 litres the pair then that's as small as you can get, but should fine for short trips (depending on whether you are camping/cooking though).
  • sorry, to clarify they are 23l each (46 for the pair) and i want to get another set, but not sure whether to go bigger or smaller. i will do some experiementing with how much i can pack in them.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Don't forget you don't need to fill the bags completly. We always leave the front bags 1/4-1/5 empty for food.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The next size up is 56 litres. Bags that size aren't that common.

My advice would be that, unless there's a really strong reason why you need to replace your bags now, use what you have for two or three trips - this will then enable you to decide whether they are two big, too little or just right.

EDIT: if you have come to the conclusion that 46 lites isn't enough then your choices (apart from carrying less stuff) would be:

- getting a dry bag to bungee to the top of the rack;
    - buying front pannier bags to go on the front (you might get away with normal size ones, but I suspect they would be over the top);
    - getting 56 litre rear panniers.
  • I use a 20l dry bag bungied to the rear rack and a bar bag for B&B touring. For full camping it's front panniers (about 25l total) and rear panniers (56l total I think). Based on what I've found, I'd keep them for the back and get smaller ones for the front.
    What extra stuff do you take for a 3-5 week trip which you don't take on a a long weekend? One extra set of socks/shorts/top? If they're both staying in the same sort of accomodation I wouldn't think you want two extra panniers for this?

I also find that I pretty much fill my panniers, if I had smaller ones I guess I'd just learn to take less stuff....... So I'd always choose the smaller option to reduce this temptation to 'just take another useful thing'.

Happy riding.