A few novice questions:

1) do all top end hubs click?
2) what makes them different than standard "free wheeling" hubs
3) do they spin faster / longer?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all rear hubs click to some level. it is how a ratchet works.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    in the words of Mr Simpson DOH!
  • nicklouse
    there are one or two that are silent by design but so few not worth mentioning.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Went to the pines today and all the "good" bikes were proper noisy in comparison to my Rockhopper.

It sounded like they all had a playing card in the spokes and was pretending to be be Evil Knievel :P
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    My Azonic Outlaws are a reasonable wheelset and are pretty much silent when freewheeling.

(Which i like).

slainte :D rob
  • nicklouse
    that will be the Hope hubs.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    nicklouse wrote:
    This.

slainte :lol: rob
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    pHz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This.

they are very popular now. not surprising really, the noise sounds good, they last well, they're easy to maintain, they're fairly light , there are lots of rim options and you can make them look pimpy with your own hub colour and rim colour options.
  • nicklouse
    pHz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This.

they are very popular now. not surprising really, the noise sounds good, they last well, they're easy to maintain, they're fairly light , there are lots of rim options and you can make them look pimpy with your own hub colour and rim colour options.

debatable.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    nicklouse wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This.

debatable.
    at this price point and if anything goes wrong you've got awesome customer service
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    nicklouse wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This.

debatable.

Endlessly it seems.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    :lol:

I'm just waiting for a new rotor from CRC and I will once again be clicking my way through the coutryside on a (blue) Hope hub... Leaving the relative silence of Shimano sitting in the garage... :twisted:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    My 456 HT WTB SupderDuty hub is well clicky too.... as for she Shimano on the All Mountain and rigid, well, absolute stealth mode.. I depend on chain and cable rattle to make an impression...
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Hope hubs certainly allow me to tell the ignorant hill walkers from the polite ones..

*Hmmm whats that loud buzzing noise getting louder? Who knows, i'll continue to take up the whole path anyway and not investigate said noise"
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Schmako wrote:
    Hope hubs certainly allow me to tell the ignorant hill walkers from the polite ones..

*Hmmm whats that loud buzzing noise getting louder? Who knows, i'll continue to take up the whole path anyway and not investigate said noise"

this is one of the best things about hope hubs and noisy hubs in general, walkers can hear you coming, slower riders can hear you coming, plus imo the louder the hub the better, i love a super clicky hub, my silent shimano's drive me mad :lol:
  • I still want to get my Hope wheelset built, but I just can't afford it. Such a bummer!
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I still want to get my Hope wheelset built, but I just can't afford it. Such a bummer!

Had a set sat built up since first week on jan waiting to go on a build that is taking way too long to finance :( keep going and giving the hub a little spinn. click click click :lol:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How do you know your back wheel is still there if you can't hear it clicking?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I have Hope Pro 2 hubs on one set of wheels and XT on the other set. The Hopes are brilliant! Easy to service, easy to get parts and the customer service from hope is second to none!! I had one of the small metal springs snap in my rear hub after two years of abuse but my lbs said (even though a hope dealer) it would take a couple of weeks to get the part :shock: One quick call to Hope and they sent me out a full set FREE of charge and received the next day!! That is great customer service and thus why i fit Hope parts to my bike :D
    The XT hubs have been good and use them for XC only as use the Hopes for Trail centres and hard stuff. They are fairly easy to maintain but are totally silent which im not too keen on.
  • I recently had a wheel built around a brand new Hope Hub and frankly I'm dissapointed! The clicking sound was barely a whirr to begin with and now after a few miles is just about audible...disgraceful! After reading all the hype about them I was expecting them to sound like Gods's own Wheel hubs of Creation!!

(Reckon my wheel builder over greased 'em is all and they still look pretty good)

Bye now!
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Love my Hopes - in terms of ease of use, bling factor and the noise as well, which I like lots. Also find it really good in a group of you tearing through fast singletrack as you can hear how close behind your mate is without having to look round. Equally fun for terrorising mates who are slacking in front of you - nothing like the buzzsaw sound of a Hope at 20MPH+ to make them up the pace!! :lol: