Maintaing Tips

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
While I'm asking questions - Can anyone give me an idea about how often I should clean my bike? After every ride? Every two rides? How through do I need to be? Wheels off? What's the best lubricant to use for the chain?

I'm quite keen to buy one of those stands I've seen the pro mechanics use that hold the frame without the wheels one so they can give it a good scrub. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Clean it as soon as it gets dirty or wet
    As thorough as time permits
    Rock N Roll Gold
    Tacx Workstand T3050 Spider Team
  • I have cleaned and oiled the chain once and the bike has done ~200 miles ~15 sessions, i`m not to bothered if the frame is dirty. The bike is running smoothly.

As for stands i`m using one from decathlon, think it was £50 cant fault it so far.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Clean it as soon as it gets dirty or wet
    As thorough as time permits
    Rock N Roll Gold
    Tacx Workstand T3050 Spider Team

Excellent, excellent, excellent! That stand is exactly what I wanted. Thanks :D
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    +1 for Decathlon Stand.
    Seems best value for money option.
  • Variado
    Variado Posts: 107
    In dry weather I do a basic clean of the drivetrain/chain-lube roughly every hundred miles or so, if it gets wet then i'll clean/dry in the garage as soon as I get back. Also use Rock'n'Roll gold for mine.

As for the frame, generally can't be bothered cleaning it often - maybe the occasional wipe-down with a babywipe if it's particularly muddy/dusty. However, i'm careful to get it dried with an old towel if wet.

and +1 for a workstand, makes life much easier.