Can you spot whats missing?

Garryboy
Garryboy Posts: 344
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
OK, update on sad story - finally picked up my 2010 Boardman team carbon on Friday, this time in right size - took her our for lovely 30 mile spin this morning, then noticed something odd when washing her down...can you spot whats missing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61069311@N05/5564063024/

A - whats the part called - so I can call Halfords in the morning and angrily demand that part X is replaced

B - is it safe to ride before it's fixed?

:cry:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does not look like there is anything missing other than a water bottle :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If you're talking about the big hole in the centre of the chainset - it's supposed to be like that!
  • bruce225
    bruce225 Posts: 129
    if you think it's a bolt for the bottom bracket,there isn't one fitted...
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    PMSL :lol:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Is this a trick question Garry?

Nothing missing from the pictures shown.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Garryboy
    :oops:

I just reckoned that there should be - the other side has a 'bolt' showing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61069311@N05/5563483869/

and my 'old' Carrera Virtuoso shows a 'bolt' either side

But hey, if it's not missing I shall skulk back into the night, tail between legs and happy not to have another fight with Halfords!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    It's hollow to save weight. The bolt on the other side presses the 2 arms together.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Garryboy
    I'll get me coat

thanks for the replies everyone
  • Check out the image of the bike on the Halfords website - shows it as your picture.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    This should be read in conjunction with the other Boardman thread, 'how do I change gear?'

:lol:

Well done for getting out and enjoying the bike
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Its OK Garryboy I insisted that my LBS looked one out for me after insisting that there had been one there when I bought the bike.

A cover not a bolt. Neither of us were thaaat daft. :oops: But of course there had never been one in the first place, and you're right it does look a bit odd.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    you carrera has a square taper bottom bracket where the chainset and crank arms are bolted on. bet youre glad you posted before storming up there :shock:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Garryboy
    mattshrops wrote:
    you carrera has a square taper bottom bracket where the chainset and crank arms are bolted on. bet youre glad you posted before storming up there :shock:

Not half!

Forum is great - plus sure it gives some of th more experienced folk a laugh when noobs like me get it very wrong!
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    And that 'dent' in the seat tube, near the bottom and just behind the front mech, it's meant to be there.
  • However I would complain that they've let you strap a pump to the frame, very poor form :wink:
    When I started cycling I had to go back to the shop half an hour later...'uh, how do you change gear...?' :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Buckled_Rims
    Remember one important thing,...nobody is born with knowledge. Those that take take the "p" with simple questions weren't born with the knowledge. Everyone has to learn from somewhere or someone!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hey - at least the question was posted in Road Beginners and not Pro Race!

I'm sure most of us have asked similarly naive questions from time to time. Just not necessarily on a public forum!

Enjoy the bike.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Expect a phone call from Halfords to tell you that your 'missing' bit is on order. :lol:
  • Buckled_Rims
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Expect a phone call from Halfords to tell you that your 'missing' bit is on order. :lol:

Yeah, expect the following:

Halfords: Dave, from halfords. It's about your missing hole.
    Garryboy: has it arrived yet?
    Halfords: We just want to know if it's SRAM missing hole or Shimano.
    Garryboy: SRAM
    Halfords: OK. Just checking....we've a Red missing hole in stock, but you have to wait 3 weeks for a force or rival missing hole.
    Garryboy: Don't you have a half a missing hole? I think it's half the weight.
    Halfords. Well buy it from us and we'll soon put that empty hole in your pocket right away

:wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    However I would complain that they've let you strap a pump to the frame, very poor form :wink:

Where do you roadies stick your pumps then, if they're not in a Camelbak.....or don't I want to know :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    email Wiggle immediately and complain
    Sorry couldn’t resist, I will get my coat too :oops:
  • bails87 wrote:
    However I would complain that they've let you strap a pump to the frame, very poor form :wink:

Where do you roadies stick your pumps then, if they're not in a Camelbak.....or don't I want to know :shock:
    Jersey pocket, natch.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • bails87
    Hmmm, you've either got a tiny pump or a massive jersey! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

I refer you to rule 30.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    My eyes my eyes, take that pump off ahh! :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    rule 33 is in contradiction of rule 5.
  • Garryboy
    bails87 wrote:

I refer you to rule 30.

Wow essential reading - pump now removed from frame.......
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Don't let the bike snobs bully you. Put the pump where you want.

If you've got a jersey stuffed with metal objects, try not to land on your back if you fall/get knocked off!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

I refer you to rule 30.
    Yeah....erm, I'm not the end of a bell, so I'll be ignoring that whole list thankyouverymuch!
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I refer you to rule 30.
    Yeah....erm, I'm not the end of a bell, so I'll be ignoring that whole list thankyouverymuch!
    I refer you to rule 1.