Sirrus or Allez?

Sheikhus
Sheikhus Posts: 40
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

Another newbie here, been lurking for a few months now, but have finally been brought out of the shadows by rocketing fuel prices, an increasing resentment of paying to use the tube at rush hour, and the improving weather. It is time to stop reading, and start cycling. 

So I need a bike. It is going to need to carry me and laptop 12 miles or so across north London, from Harrow to Archway and occasionally to Westminster.  

I had been considering getting a Specialized Sirrus Sport and gathered that it could take mudguards, panniers etc. so should be about right for what I wanted. I was pretty set on this until I got sized up on a 2010 Allez 16 the other day, which was pretty nifty. Now it's got me thinking a little.

So which should I get? The sirrus seems like the more sensible option for a noob who needs a versatile bike for year round commuting, but the allez seems good value for the 2010 models and might make my journey easier. I haven't cycled properly for about 10 years or so, and can't help thinking that flat handlebars would be better whilst getting used to cycling in traffic, and I've never ridden drop bars before. Plus the chaps at bike shops seem to be nudging me towards flat bars too. But how much better can the allez be? Am I better off with the sirrus this year then upgrading to a higher spec road bike next year? Would the sirrus really be better come winter? Aarrrgh!

At this point I should say that apart from what I have been reading here on BR, I know nothing about componentry so am not clear on which will offer the best durability, performance etc. 

I'm pretty sure I'll end up like one of the Nodders from the 'nodderpocalysenow' thread but hope in time to become a seasoned pro like fatboybiker!

Any comments or advice would be most welcome. 

Thanks!!
Sheikhus
Specialized Secteur - FCN 6

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to a better way to commute.

The answer's simple: go with your heart. If you don't you will be wanting to upgrade in no time as the cycling bug takes hold. Don't worry about drops either, if you fancy them you'll be used to them in no time.

If I was to offer you any advice it would be, choose a steel frame over aluminium, but then I am a little bit steel obsessed.
  • Hi Sheikus and welcome,

Looks like you've been reading the forum and most of your questions will have been covered elsewhere. If you are considering a Sirrus or Allez you must have a big enough budget to buy a 'proper bike'. These are both good and able to do this sort of commute with ease, but are quite different beasts. If you are carrying stuff such as your laptop I would recommend a rack and panniers, and mudguards will make a big difference in keeping you and your stuff clean and dry.

Drop handlebars do give more hand positions and are better for speedwork and fighting the wind, but many people prefer flat handlebars in traffic. The road surface, terrain, number of interuptions, traffic etc. might all influence your choice, but at the end of the day the bike that feels best is the one to go for, regardless of what any of us might advise.

If you can, visit another couple of bike shops, listen to their recommendations and try other brands too. As you have already found, 2010 models might be significantly cheaper than this years models.

Happy hunting.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I don't think it will make a huge difference.

If you think the Sirrus is the safer option, go with that - if you end up wishing you had the Allez, you could always sell it later in the year and get an Allez ;)

edit - actually the need to carry a laptop would make me go for a bike that can take panniers. I'm not sure the Allez can (at least not easily), although it can have mudguards.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited March 2011
    nich wrote:
    If you think the Sirrus is the safer option, you're wrong! - When you end up wishing you had the Allez, you'll have to sell it later in the year. ;)

FTFY.

OP, get the road bike. You know you want to.
  • Hi Sheikus and welcome,

Looks like you've been reading the forum and most of your questions will have been covered elsewhere. If you are considering a Sirrus or Allez you must have a big enough budget to buy a 'proper bike'. These are both good and able to do this sort of commute with ease, but are quite different beasts. If you are carrying stuff such as your laptop I would recommend a rack and panniers, and mudguards will make a big difference in keeping you and your stuff clean and dry.

Drop handlebars do give more hand positions and are better for speedwork and fighting the wind, but many people prefer flat handlebars in traffic. The road surface, terrain, number of interuptions, traffic etc. might all influence your choice, but at the end of the day the bike that feels best is the one to go for, regardless of what any of us might advise.

If you can, visit another couple of bike shops, listen to their recommendations and try other brands too. As you have already found, 2010 models might be significantly cheaper than this years models.

Happy hunting.
    The highlighted bit is key. The best way I have found to try out bikes is to get your local Evans to get one in for a ride. It (used to at least) only costs £50 returnable deposit and a skim of a credit card. Make sure they set it up properly for you - best to go at quiet times (which may vary, but generally means weekdays not at lunchtime or after 4/4:30pm). Of course, no need to eventually buy from them, but they will price match identical (size, year, colour) bikes.

That aside, no doubt you are also seeking comments about the pros and cons of the different types of bike. For example, no point buying a carbon TT bike if you need something to lug around a trailer-load of stuff each week, even if it feels a joy to ride.

I've had a Sirrus and it is a fast (rider permitting!) flat bar. I lug a fair bit around so then went for a Tricross, as after 6-9 months I wanted to try a drop bar again (25 years after Uni), but a cyclocross is quite practical in being built for abuse (think winter riding) and can usually easily fit a pannier rack (there is always a way to fit a pannier to a bike, but some suit it more). The only downside to me is the cantilever brakes which are OKish, but not the most powerful - particularly when fully loaded. No doubt I will go for a full on road bike next, but the Tricross will remain my 3-season commuter. I've not tried the Allez, but from comments I've read here and elsewhere it seems highly regarded as a good entry level road bike.

The Genesis Croix de Fer might be an interesting compromise - drop bars, disk brakes (set up properly these stop well; the wheels should also last longer as you are not grinding the rims away with brakes), mounting points for rack and mudguards, steel so heavier but should absorb a fair amount of vibration.

Look around for previous season models once you have an idea of the size, make and model you need. These often are discounted a fair bit, and sometimes have better parts than the comparable 2011 model.

Have fun. Start saving for the inevitable costs as you get the upgrade and "n+1" bug. Join British Cycling, London Cycling Campaign, or the CTC to get support, ideas and 3rd party insurance. Contact the local council as many have free courses on bike maintenance (I think Evans have cheap or free 2hr courses as well) and road awareness - the type that might cost £60-80/hr privately, where an experienced trainer will assess your riding and provide tips.

Read Cyclecraft.

Edit: reword to clarify
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I was in your position about nine months ago and plumped for a flat bar hybrid. Have been wanting a road bike ever since.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12767367
  • Get the road bike.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • I comuted for 2 years on a sirrius with guards and a paniers, found it pretty quick and comfortable (did a century ride on it and plenty of 50+ milers on it)

However, always fancied a road bike so got a bargain of one at christmas. Its way better, lighter and faster. Depends if you want to be sensible or have more fun.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • I have a Sirrus and a normal road bike and I like having the option of drops or flats. To be fair, the Sirrus is a great bike to ride, amazingly practical, quick and fairly light. The downsides are crap v-brakes and soft wheels.
  • I have both and do not touch my sirrus since a bought the allez
  • Sheikhus
    Hi all,

Thanks for the responses and for the sound advice. I'm going to see if I can myself a copy of cyclecraft this afternoon from town and start swotting up.

On the bike front, I think really I know which one I want, but am a bit nervous about getting on a road bike as I've never had one before. For those of you who have said that you have changed from hybrids to road bikes, why did you do this and what was the main difference?

Lastly, I was wondering what difference if any I would experience between the sirrus (24 speed) and the allez (16 speed) on hills. Whilst I don't imagine this would make a difference on the flat, my route will take in Harrow on the hill, hampstead Heath, and highgate hill, so don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not having enough gears, particularly as I will be carrying stuff on the back.

Thanks again,
    Sheikhus
  • Sheikhus wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for the responses and for the sound advice. I'm going to see if I can myself a copy of cyclecraft this afternoon from town and start swotting up.

On the bike front, I think really I know which one I want, but am a bit nervous about getting on a road bike as I've never had one before. For those of you who have said that you have changed from hybrids to road bikes, why did you do this and what was the main difference?

Lastly, I was wondering what difference if any I would experience between the sirrus (24 speed) and the allez (16 speed) on hills. Whilst I don't imagine this would make a difference on the flat, my route will take in Harrow on the hill, hampstead Heath, and highgate hill, so don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not having enough gears, particularly as I will be carrying stuff on the back.

Thanks again,
    Sheikhus

I was lucky, I went straight from a crappy MTB to a road bike and skipped the hybrid phase. Road bikes are faster and easier if you're doing any real distance. The ability to go onto drops when there's a headwind is bliss.

If you buy the hybrid, you will be constantly overtaken by people on real bikes. Perhaps you like being overtaken, I don't know: I hate it.

People go up the steepest of alps on a road bike with a double chainset, it may take a while to get really good at them, but the hills in London ought to be doable.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Sheikus - I only got my road bike yesterday and have ridden it no more than 5 miles so far. I haven't struggled a jot to get used to it. It climbs so much better.

I wanted it for longer rides because there are extra hand positions. Even on my 18 mile round commute, I got sore wrists on a flat bar.

Follow your heart I say. I really can't imagine you getting a road bike and wishing you'd gone for a hybrid.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    Don't worry about being overtaken by people on road bikes (or any bikes), there is always gonna be people who are faster/better than you regardless of the bike they ride. I own a 2007 Sirrus and have done some "real" mileage on it. I have overtaken people on road bikes but have also been overtaken by people on MTBs (the later being more likely :lol: ), so what? who cares? Anyway, you have probably made a decision in your mind already, so just get the Allez, it will do everything the Sirrus does, just faster and lighter, which is what us men like! :lol:(unless multi day unsupported touring on unpaved roads is in your mind) Most hybrid owners I spoke to bought a road bike within a year of getting the hybrid! You will probably want to buy an even more expensive road bike after your Allez anyway! And by the way, you won't run out of gears on a 16sp Allez, certainly not in London and probably not in most other parts of the UK.

Commuting in London is great fun, you will enjoy it, just be sensible and stay safe and most important of all: please please please take utmost care to not let your bike be stolen, especially when (1) it's new, (2) it's a Specialized and (3) you are in London.

FYI, I have a Sirrus that I use for commuting and touring, a road bike and an MTB, love them all equally! Also, I use to commute in London before moving to the new world.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    The Sirrus is a great bike, I'm on my second. I will admit (as per other forum posts) that I am toying with a move to drops, but only after several years of using the Sirrus range. The reason for the delay is that in a 20 mile round trip (in London) I virtually never see roadies in the drops during commute times, and that includes outer SW London near Richmond Park. I'm just getting n+1 urges, rather than rational purchasing.

I would buy the machine that can take the panniers for the laptop as carrying that on your back day in day out would wear thin far quicker than the drops debate, and the tube would start to be used again.
  • Sounds like you have pretty much made your mind up for the road bike. The Allez is a good bike but is designed primarily as a junior race bike. You might find other drop handled bikes with more relaxed geometry, a better ability to take rack and guards, and perhaps a triple chain set more suited to your requirements.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I have a Sirrus at my girlfriends and its a good bike, plenty quick though I do sometimes miss the drop bars. At mine I have a Tricross which is perfect for the country lanes and canal tow path on my commute. Both good bikes but I think ultimately I like to have the drop bars, even if I spend a fair amount of time on the hoods or top of the bars.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yes, you do want a road bike :-)

If you want to carry a rack, aren't you best off getting a bike with rack eyelets. The Allez doesn't have any. Having said that, there's a user here who manages just fine with an Allez for touring with a rack, but I still think they'd be useful. As your LBS seems to be a Spesh shop, how about a Secteur? Looks a little more "relaxed" geometry (the Allez is much more racy IIRC), and has rack eyelets.

Having said that, neither seem to have 'guard eyelets that I can see, which I reckon is essential on a year-round commuter.

Edit: I started on a Sirrus, too. I got a road bike within a year. I still rode the Sirrus for non-perfect weather, but always somewhat resented it. The Sirrus now looks to be consigned to the tip following my recent off (carbon, big crash). I'm not that upset by the loss, really.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    davis wrote:
    Yes, you do want a road bike :-)

If you want to carry a rack, aren't you best off getting a bike with rack eyelets. The Allez doesn't have any. Having said that, there's a user here who manages just fine with an Allez for touring with a rack, but I still think they'd be useful. As your LBS seems to be a Spesh shop, how about a Secteur? Looks a little more "relaxed" geometry (the Allez is much more racy IIRC), and has rack eyelets.

Having said that, neither seem to have 'guard eyelets that I can see, which I reckon is essential on a year-round commuter.

Oh sorry, that was my mistake, the last time I owned an Allez was back in 05, I remember they use to have rack eyelets at the top of the seatstays. I really need to go to my LBS more :lol:
    I do remember seeing someone on a newish Allez (the curve top tube ones) with rack though, maybe it was a 09 or 10 model, is the OP still talking about the 10 model?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your carrying a laptop, I would recommend a rack and panniers, I started with a backpack but soon went to panniers as arriving with your back dripping with sweat isn't attractive for anyone (least of all yourself!).

To that end, whatever bike you choose, I would recomend you get one with proper fittings for a rack (and therefore mudguards for winter), the Allez won't do that. Although you can use one of those seatpost mounted racks, I prefer to keep the weight a bit lower!

You'll see my commuter in my avatar (although it's been updated since), but whether flats or drops are for you is very personal, my commute is on rutted and rough country roads and I prefer flat bars (set quite low), others prefer drops for reasons I can understand but don't necesarily believe are right for me.

At the end of the day it's about having the right bike for YOU on YOUR commute, not me on mine or anyone elses!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    To that end, whatever bike you choose, I would recomend you get one with proper fittings for a rack (and therefore mudguards for winter), the Allez won't do that. Although you can use one of those seatpost mounted racks, I prefer to keep the weight a bit lower!
    Simon

As someone who has ridden an Allez fully loaded on tour and uses a rack every day, I can safely say the bike can handle it. If you mount with an M:Part seat post clamp or on the eye-lets, the rack is still at the same height. If you use a Topeak Super Tourist rack you can mount lower.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    spanner in the works here but I've always preferred a cyclocross bike for commuting. OK its not a fast as a proper road bike (I have a Look 586 and a Trek Madone 6.5 for that :D ) its just a cyclocross bike is far more versitile, can fit all the racks and mudguards you need and as its tougher so you can load it up without worrying and you can throw it around a little more and not worry if it takes a knock.....plus when you get on the road bike you absolutely fly :D
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    nich wrote:
    the need to carry a laptop would make me go for a bike that can take panniers. I'm not sure the Allez can (at least not easily), although it can have mudguards.

The Allez Elite 2010 model definitely has the fixings for a rack , both on the seat stays
    & the dropouts.

I would have thought most models in the Allez 2010 range would have a similar frame &
    be able to fit a rack.

On the other hand, I found clearance for mudguards were quite tight on the 2010 Allez Elite, I had to to go with the Crud Roadracer see http://www.crudproducts.com/

Mike
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mikelyons wrote:
    The Allez Elite 2010 model definitely has the fixings for a rack , both on the seat stays
    & the dropouts.

It does indeed but the top eye-lets are blocked by the brakes, you need to use a M:Part seat post clamp. You'll need to use clip on guards, there is no clearance for full guards.

IMG_0918-PS.jpg

Oh and don't be afraid to load an Allez up :twisted:
    IMG_5898-PS.jpg
  • Sheikhus
    Just back from LBS.

2011 Allez models do not have rack mounts, 2010 do. Although looks like the rack will need a spot of tinkering if I get one anyway as per iPete's post.

The 2010 Allez was still there so managed to take it for a short spin. Yes. I like. Felt pretty low and a bit twitchy but nice and light and seems to 'fit' just nicely.

Now need to plot my route, decide whether to don lycra and hit the road.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I had an allez but I didnt like it - because it felt too low and twitchy!
    It was 2007 model and took racks no problem but I got rid of it - I just never loved riding it.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Really like my Allez for my commute. Also use Crud Roadracers so lack of eyelets not an issue.
  • Sheikhus
    ste_ wrote:
    Really like my Allez for my commute. Also use Crud Roadracers so lack of eyelets not an issue.

How long is your commute?