Rainbow stripes-SPOILER ALERT

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
after all the different discussions about the rainbow bands on this site it was great to see today (amongst other people) gregory bauge looking absolutely ecstatic, i mean he was really buzzing, couldnt stand still and definitely couldnt control his smile, while he was waiting to be given the famous jersey. gives us mortals a bit of an insight into just what those bands mean. food for thought there.
fantastic championships, loving that track racing 8)
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• Yes, Baugé was happy, wasn't he? Straight after the race v Kenny he just kept on repeating ''Yes, yes, yes!'' - (Ok, ''Ouais, ouais, ouais...). But he's a superb track cyclist, so there's no way anyone can begrudge him his joy.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Anyone know - do only the reigning World Champions wear the rainbow stripe piping on their skinsuits in the Worlds?

Seems like that is the case.

Do previous World Champs get the piping and bands for the rest of the year (other events)?

(I know the general rules regarding wearing of stripes on your clothing)
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    pokerface im a bit confused by this one too. some are wearing them but i thought VP was the reigning world champ in the womens sprint but she had no stripes today.??
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    None of the Brits were sporting theirs. Hoy didn't have any for the Kieren either. Must be their choice.

But still seems like only the winner from the year before had any stripes on (in other events).
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    It's complicated. Of course it is - the UCI set the rules...

According to the regs (unless I've misread them), you're not allowed to add rainbow piping to a national team jesrsey/skinsuit. So what we are probably seeing is teams like GB sticking to the letter of the rules and teams like France bending them unless they have sought dispensation. Current world champs are allowed to wear rainbow stripes on their equipment (bikes, helmet, shoes, etc) but only in the event that they are champ in.
    UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS

1.3.063 Until the day before the world championship of the following year, the world champions must wear their jersey in all events in the discipline, speciality and category in which they won their title, and in no other event. For the purpose of this rule, the team time trial is put on a par with the individual time trial. In six-day races, only madison world champions may wear the jersey, even if they are not paired together.
    The world champion jersey must be worn at every opportunity with public exposure, in particular during competitions, awards ceremonies, press conferences, television interviews, autograph sessions, photo sessions and other occasions.

1.3.064 Without prejudice to paragraph 2 below, only the current world champion rider may wear rainbow piping on his equipment (such as bike, helmet, shoes) as per the technical specifications in the brochure which will be sent to him by the UCI. However, he may use the equipment bearing the rainbow piping only in events of the discipline, speciality and category in which he won the title and in no other event.

When he no longer holds the title of world champion, a rider may wear rainbow piping on the collar and cuffs of his jersey, to the exclusion of any other equipment, as per the technical specifications in the brochure which will be sent to him by the UCI. However, he may wear such a jersey only in events of the discipline, speciality and category in which he won the title and in no other event. In compliance with the provisions 1.3.056 and 1.3.059, he is not authorized to add the rainbow piping on his national team clothing.

Any equipment bearing the rainbow piping shall be submitted to UCI for approval before production.

P.S. A shame you didn't post this in the Track section - I feel like I'm fighting a lone battle in there...
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I read the title as Racing Stripes and was expecting to talk about horses in pyjamas.

Oh well,

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk