Soaking a dirty chain

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 982
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I will be removing the Shimano chain from my road bike tomorrow to give it a good clean is it better to soak it in petrol or diesel to get all the gunk on it?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I don't think it makes much difference which solvent you use. It's important to agitate it though, to flush out the internal grit, so a sealed container is needed, like a jar or bottle. It will take a few shakes and rinses in fresh solvent. I use some ancient white spirit, which I leave to settle out and pour off into another container for re-use.

Make sure the chain is bone-dry before you oil it, or any remaining solvent or water will thin or displace the oil.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I put mine in a pedal bin liner, spray with WD40 and agitate. Then clean off with a cloth.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    DO NOT USE PETROL!

The fumes have a habit of gathering in unsuspecting places and then igniting. I know this from bitter experience cleaning my MX bike chain 30 years ago!

Diesel is OK, as is paraffin and heating oil. Even better is some industrial citrus degreaser (far cheaper from a hotel or business supplier than the rip off bike brands). Hose off with water, and then spray with GT-85 to remove any left over water before you lube properly.
    "Coming through..."