The tyranny of the cycle computer

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
The battery in mine went the other day & I've been too busy to get another. It's been lovely riding in the warmish evening in daylight looking at what I'm passing by rather than slavishly staring at my cadence figure and trying to keep it in the 'zone'.

I've realised I'm happier without it and enjoying the world around me.

Anyone want to buy a HRM too

Comments

• Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    PM sent
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The battery in mine went the other day & I've been too busy to get another. It's been lovely riding in the warmish evening in daylight looking at what I'm passing by rather than slavishly staring at my cadence figure and trying to keep it in the 'zone'.

I've realised I'm happier without it and enjoying the world around me.

Anyone want to buy a HRM too

It is for exactly this reason that I refuse to put one on my commuter bike. It's a long old way and I need to get to work fit for purpose. I always try to ensure I tap away at a solid pace but cannot risk the mental pressure of a little device mithering away..."you could be going quicker".
    The rides are much more enjoyable as a result.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    i reckon about once a week have a no data day. actually a lot better prospect in the good weather nice day for a recovery ride 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    Completely agree Shouldbeinbed. Mine went a few weeks ago and I've not replaced it (I use GPS on my iphone, but in my back pocket so I have a record of mileage and AVS at the end of the ride).

It's completely changed the way I ride. And the fun - it actually feels like flying again, not 'must get over 85'
    Mine died the other day and I don't really miss it, the only bit I do miss is the average and max speed, because despite what we all say,w e're all competitive and like to know how we're performing.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I ditched mine a couple of years ago, don't miss it one bit. I still like to know my distances so I track them on Mapometer, with the added advantage of a route profile and total elevation and one less bit of junk cluttering up the handlebars.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Love it on the road bike but won't ever have one on the mtb.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Use mine all the time, just to record distance/speed av, i hardly look at it while on the bike, just the occasional glance to see how far iv'e done. Generally speaking your body should tell you if you are in the right 'comfort' zone or cadence is to high.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Similar story - battery went last year - never replaced it.

Only thing I occasionally miss is the distance covered.

It's great though.

Recently I've also stopped taking my watch - so I don't even know how long I've been cycling untill I get home.

Very liberating.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The magnet on the spoke slipped down on Friday and I almost moved it back but decided just to relax in the sun on the way home.

No speed recorded and bizarrely did a near record time, despite stopping to chat to a couple of (very) nice lady cyclists - I just enjoyed the sun and the view (errr.... countryside view)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter