How much better is Shimano tiagra over 2300? For bike choice

stuartturbo
stuartturbo Posts: 69
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Long time lerker

Work is now running cyclescheme. My choice was a GT Transeo 1.0 then GT Tachyon1.0 for my 20 mile commute( GT mtb fan of old still ride my Avalanche nearly 15yrs old )

Now decided to go for a tricross ( I'm a "big lump" but no hanging fat!!! 6ft2 and 18.5stone!!! as they seem stronger build and better brakes than a roady
In the flesh the cheaper or the two looks better but fitted with much lower components, are they just heavier or are they less durable also

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... h%2FGravel
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... h%2FGravel
Not that bad but bad enough for me
Route1.jpg

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    go with the Tiagra if you can afford it; from 2300 to Tiagra there's a big jump both in usability on the levers and durability
  • laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 248
    As far as I can tell, 2300 is the former Sora range. So, what are the pros and cons?

For 2300:
    Eight speed chains have thicker side plates and therefore last longer. They are also cheaper to buy - a double economy.
    2300 is cheaper, and is certainly durable enough for everyday use.
    2300 makes even the smartest bike less attractive to thieves.

Against 2300:
    Tiagra gets you extra gears (but this usually means the gaps between gears are smaller, rather than a bigger range). So, 2300 restricts you to 8 gears. Personally, I think that this is enough, unless you are racing.
    The gear lever mechanism is different, and 2300 means that it is difficult to change to a smaller sprocket unless you ride on the hoods. If you ride on the hoods, the major objection to the Sora-type levers is largely irrelevant, and it comes down to personal preference.
    Tiagra gear is probably better engineered - so hubs, etc are likely to be smoother and have better seals. However, you probably won't notice a marked difference between 2300 and Tiagra in front or rear derailleurs or sprockets, chainwheels and cranks.
    Tiagra gear is likely to be a tiny bit less heavy. As with the other marginal improvements, this might make a bit of difference if your commute is long, hilly and you will do it every day, week-in, week-out.

So, it comes down to what you want out of your bike. I've no doubt that Tiagra is shinier, and will make you feel a bit prouder of your bike, but whether it will make a great difference to your ride to work is another matter.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    My first bike (Defy 4) had 2300, wasn't a bad groupset.
    Defy 3 I bought in January comes Sora equipped, was a marked improvement.
    Put a tiagra crankset on earlier this month, and immediately noticed that I could get more power into the gears because the Tiagra is better engineered and stiffer. I'd say go for Tiagra if you can afford it.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got 3 bikes, one with a mix of 2300 and Sora, another with Tiagra and the third with 105. The difference between Tiagra and 2300/Sora is pretty big, for a start the shifters are in different places but Tiagra is generally much smoother and lighter to use. \Braking also feels more solid. 105 is an improvement on Tiagra but the jump is not as large
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • From that feed back look like the more expensive bike is to be ordered on the 1st April.
    Just mean buying accessory's myself
    Route1.jpg
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    meant to add this during the week but forgot: 2300 is not an equivalent to Sora, it is the groupset below it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm that's not what the giggling male juvenile said though is it......he said Tiagra is the old Sora, and that is typically how Shimano works, updates the top of the range and the rest of the range becomes (near enough) the previous years one above.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Popped in the bike shop and got the cyclescheme paper work for the tricross sport the dearer bike.
    Just waiting for april fools day to start the process with work
    Route1.jpg