Which chain lube do use?

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Wet or dry?

I've been using white lightning clean ride reciently and i found that dry lube seems to make my drivetrain run really noisy and i found my jockey wheels were totally gunged up to the point they hardy went round. So i have brought so muc off wet and although it smells a bit weird my gears are much somother and quieter running.

Will be using wet form now on :D
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    dry lube for when it's dry
    wet lube for when it's wet

give that it's march, and the preceding months form that rather un-dry season we like to call "winter", it is common to use wet lube.

once the sun comes out and makes your local trails nice and dusty, feel free to move onto some dry lube

dry lube still works when it's wet, it's just that it's better for dusty conditions and wet is better for muddy and damp conditions.

keep you bike nice and clean when using wet lube though.

:wink:
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Muc off wet lube but I've got some Squirt to use when summer comes round
  • I'm currently using White Lightining Epic Ride because my bottle of Nut Lube is empty.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whatever works for you.

Lube is lube generally and brands make little difference, but the dry lube is better literally for dry conditions as it's light rather than sticky like wet lube. The sticky wet lube basically keeps dirt out of the chain, but can result in chain suck so not desirable unless it really is very wet.

Should really clean off the lube before applying new, or at least changing between wet and dry.

Don't know about everywhere, but conditions round my way are certainly what I'd call dry. But if you're getting dirt accumulation then it must be muddy conditions, thus calls for wet.

Whatever you use, don't slap on loads of it. Use sparingly.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    After recommendations on this forum, I use chainsaw chain oil. It seems identical to the previous bike stuff I had, but is a small fraction of the price.
    Bike grease and oil in their little 125ml pots is an absolute rip-off when you can buy equivalents (i.e. automotive) in 500ml or 1ltr pots for the same money.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    been very dry and dusty in warwickshire since mid feb so cleaned off the wet and switched to dry
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    I'm currently using White Lightining Epic Ride because my bottle of Nut Lube is empty.

i'm using the same.

it keeps all the chains i've used it on workign perfectly

i have refurbed about ten chains lately and all have been lubed up with this stuff.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    nwmlarge wrote:
    I'm currently using White Lightining Epic Ride because my bottle of Nut Lube is empty.

i'm using the same.

it keeps all the chains i've used it on workign perfectly

i have refurbed about ten chains lately and all have been lubed up with this stuff.

That's my favouite lube and I have been happy with that although I'm trying some finish line wax lube at the moment. Jury is still out on that one though.
    Many happy trails!
  • bragawd
    bragawd Posts: 160
    d3matt wrote:
    After recommendations on this forum, I use chainsaw chain oil. It seems identical to the previous bike stuff I had, but is a small fraction of the price.
    Bike grease and oil in their little 125ml pots is an absolute rip-off when you can buy equivalents (i.e. automotive) in 500ml or 1ltr pots for the same money.

thats the world we live in matey. rip offs everywhere....
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bike lubes are shockingly expensive. I have a litre of chainsaw oil in the garage which I will never use - I'm going to give it a try.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Try some Nutlube!
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Try some Nutlube!
    Tell me more ive just googled it and found nowt.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    edited March 2011
    piker wrote:
    Try some Nutlube!

There are a few of the forum regulars currently using it. It's a lube created by one of the other forumites (joshtp) which he is in the process of sorting out for general sale.

I think all of us who have tried it have had really good results. I know that when I get my hands on some more, the Epic Ride lube will be relegated to use on forks and shock only.

Not sure if he's managed to release it for sale yet though or if it's still technically in testing.
  • Anonymous
    piker wrote:
    Try some Nutlube!
    One of the forum users here made it. His username is JoshTP, or something like that. Search the forum for nutlube.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i use finish line wet lube pretty much all year, just less of it in the summer :lol:

i wouldn't mind trying some nutlube though, hope to see it released soon.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    piker wrote:
    Try some Nutlube!
    I'm not sure googling nut lube would be work safe :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Nutlube - obviously.

:D

:lol:

seriously though - quick update...

Nutlube is still heading for market, but being the type of product it is there are loads of fiddly little things to sort out... product insurance is the current hurdle...

and being a 15 year old with a bit of help from me dad... it's an extra mission.

BUT, it will be going on sale at some point soon, hopefully by fort bill WC (which we will be at), so keep your eyes peeled.

:)

JP
    I like bikes and stuff
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Rock N Roll gold

started using it a couple of weeks ago and its ace
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I use the blue Rock N Roll all year round.

After all muddy rides the bike is cleaned and new lube applied. In the dry I periodically clean and reapply every so often.

I have found this to be the best lube by a country mile and I buy the £19 massive bottle and refill that easily lasts a few years of heavy riding.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    In the wet/winter months I use Rocol Chain & Drive which is phenomenal. It's a proper industrial chain lube (my mate works for the distributor) designed for high load, high speed chains in mucky industrial environments. Sound familiar? Because it's not branded for MTB use, it's only about £6 a can, so I am thinking of repackaging it and doubling the price as per standard procedure!!!!

I'm about to try their dry PTFE wax for the summer. Will report back. :D
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2011
    Ok, ok, we get the message!
    Except, high speed, high load doesn't translate very well to mtbs. Motorcycle chain lube, for example, is horrible on bike chains, because it makes the chain too stiff.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    No idea what happened there - I'm now trying to delete the multiple posts but the edit button doesn't seem to be allowing a delete option? Any ideas? :?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I've been using both wet and dry variants of Fenwicks lube recently and it does the job well. Its cheap too.
  • Anonymous
    Edit them, delete the text and leave them blank, or PM an admin or mod and ask them to delete them.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Wurth Motorcycle High Performance Dry Chain Lube