Race numbers and cold weather

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,439
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
I'm doing my first BC road race tomorrow, the Seacroft Wheelers spring road race near Selby.

I've been wondering how insistant they are on race numbers been visible? It's forecast to be about 5 degrees which to me means at least a wind proof gilet will be the order of the day, but my gilet is a shell material so i'd rather not have pins in it. Its also probably not transparant enough to just stick on over my number.

Any advice/ suggestions?
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    gsk82 wrote:
    I've been wondering how insistant they are on race numbers been visible?
    It's absolutely essential that your race number is visible. Your number is the means of the commissaire identifying you in the event of you getting dropped, causing a crash or (you never know) winning the bunch sprint.
    It's forecast to be about 5 degrees which to me means at least a wind proof gilet will be the order of the day, but my gilet is a shell material so i'd rather not have pins in it. Its also probably not transparant enough to just stick on over my number.

Any advice/ suggestions?
    It doesn't matter how you do it but you need to clothe yourself adequately to race and have your race number clearly visible. I'm afraid that claiming that you have to wear your gilet and you don't want to stick pins in it definitely won't wash. I've attached race numbers with small squares of double-backed tape before now, but it does need to be strong stuff (so that it stays in place and doesn't lose its stickiness when it gets wet with sweat or rain) and you do need to remove it carefully before handing your number back in.

Ruth
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Thanks for starting this thread. It's a good question and it's reminded me to get some 3M repositionable spray adhesive.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    People sometimes pull their gilet up over their race number. That seems fine.

I have a wind proof thermal, which is good for the job.
  • gsk82
    i have plenty of kit i could wear but was looking to wear my team jersey. i'd rather be warm enough than have my jersey on display though. cheers for the replies
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Wear your jersey over the gilet...........only problem is undoing the gilet if you get too hot.
  • gsk82
    think i'm gonna go with long sleeve compression baselayer and arm warmers. just been outside n it didnt seem too bad so should be fine once i get riding.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Bronzie wrote:
    Wear your jersey over the gilet...........only problem is undoing the gilet if you get too hot.
    +1

If you're sold on wearing a gilet, put it under your jersey and pin the number to your jersey on top.

As much as people would like to think they are TdF material and can remove their gilet during the middle of a road race, they can't... so whether you wear it on top or under your jersey is irrelevant really when it comes to staying warm, you won't be taking it off (especially if your number is pinned to it....) And if you wear it underneath, at least you can reach under your jersey to unzip it a bit and it will let some air in without flapping all around and creating a big sail!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    maryka wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    +1

If you're sold on wearing a gilet, put it under your jersey and pin the number to your jersey on top.

As much as people would like to think they are TdF material and can remove their gilet during the middle of a road race, they can't... so whether you wear it on top or under your jersey is irrelevant really when it comes to staying warm, you won't be taking it off (especially if your number is pinned to it....) And if you wear it underneath, at least you can reach under your jersey to unzip it a bit and it will let some air in without flapping all around and creating a big sail!

it really is not that hard to take a gilet off whilst ridding, i did it in the east yorkshire classic last year, it had rained abit before the start so thought it would be a good idea them 30 mins in i was too hot so took it off. Back to the subject pull it up so your number can be seen and maybe invest in a gilet that you could see a number through for the future?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would personally put a couple of thermal base layers on and then the jersey on top and forget about the gilet, though I race in a skinsuit and wouldn't think of putting anything over it.

If you are working hard you will soon warm up though, so try and plan what to wear beforehand, but leave the decision to the last minute. It is likely to warm up during the event as well, so think about this as well.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've been wearing base layers under my skin suit for TT's
  • gsk82
    it was nowhere near as cold as forecast and the thin baselayer and jersey sufficed.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Yeah it was actually pretty good weather for racing. How did you go? I punctured on the 2nd lap. Race over. First race of the season for me - I'm really disappointed that I didn't even get a chance to stretch my legs. Good to see a break succeed.
    More problems but still living....
  • Herbsman wrote:
    Thanks for starting this thread. It's a good question and it's reminded me to get some 3M repositionable spray adhesive.

Im sure the organisers would really appreciate their numbers being returned covered in gunk. Safety pins all the way - one in each corner per number and one in the top and outside edges too. The number of times i've seen riders with numbers flapping pains me. - why not attach a kite to your back ffs ?

Play the game properly listen to the commisaires instructions on how to place your number -for example on occasions they may use camerars from one side and ask for a number to be positioned sideways to pick the numbers up.

And no folding them either to make them smaller.
  • Herbsman
    gsk82 wrote:
    it was nowhere near as cold as forecast and the thin baselayer and jersey sufficed.
    Lucky you. Mine was freezing... should have taken a windproof jersey but I just took baselayer, s/s jersey, armwarmers and gilet.

My gilet has mesh at the back so I didn't need to use the spray 'gunk' that supposedly would have covered the number and made the organizers unhappy :roll:
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • It should be pointed out that under BC regs you should never fold a number, and that you should also fix them in the way the organiser instructs you to do so.
    I do not know any organiser that would like his number returned with any sticky residue on them, so please do not think about that - use the pins - if you get a number with rusty pins then get some of your own and replace them when pinning on your number. and if you do pin in the middle of the edges of the number then please take them out before returning your number.

And so far I have not seen any gillet with a mesh back that is good enough to properly see the number clearly. So those are again not worth using in a race situation - either leave it off or put it on under the race jersey. If it's cold enough to need more jerseys then use more jerseys... can't be simpler.

Paul
  • Herbsman
    PaulThomo wrote:

And so far I have not seen any gillet with a mesh back that is good enough to properly see the number clearly. So those are again not worth using in a race situation - either leave it off or put it on under the race jersey. If it's cold enough to need more jerseys then use more jerseys... can't be simpler.

Paul
    Paul,

What I meant was I was able to attach the numbers to the gilet by putting the pins through the mesh, rather than putting holes in the main part of the gilet. Which is what the OP was concerned about.

Don't worry, I wouldn't have used spray mount without asking, but I know a lot of people who use it. It doesn't leave loads of residue, and is easily removed, which is why it's ideal for mounting photographic prints for exhibition. Rest assured that due to the presence of mesh on my gilet I will keep the spray mount for my photos.
  • Fair enough - I hadn't considered that. Although if you are asked to place a number on your side (and not just on your back as normal) for a photo finish, how would you handle that - and also you are supposed to ride in BC registered colours/kit, so covering that up is also not allowed unless the gillet is also in the same design.

Paul
  • gsk82
    amaferanga wrote:
    Yeah it was actually pretty good weather for racing. How did you go? I punctured on the 2nd lap. Race over. First race of the season for me - I'm really disappointed that I didn't even get a chance to stretch my legs. Good to see a break succeed.

was that on the bit through the woods? the surface was pretty naff there,especially on the left. it wasn't much better on the rest of the course though to be honest.

it was my first BC road race so i was happy to finish in the pack. i still had plenty in reserve at the end after a wobble on about lap 6, but that was sorted by a gel. i didn't want to be a cheeky sod and sit in all day then sprint so i didn't bother moving up to sprint. i did notice that 3 guys who were around me for most of the ride finished in the top 10 though,so maybe next time, or maybe i'll do more than one short stint up near the front.

a good race to start the season though and i'll be back next year.
  • gsk82 wrote:

Any advice/ suggestions?

Yes, rubbing warm up balm all over your torso should have the desired effect. Watch out for the hot nips when you stop racing though.
    Bald is Beautiful