what tyres ?

jacketman28
jacketman28 Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
I have been wanting to do some touring for some while - however the tyres on my touring bike (revolution country traveller) dont look up to the job and i would like to ivest in some good quality rubber - could anyone recommend any ? , also could i fit wider tyres than i have curently(700x32) ?
Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Your question is a little vague. Schwalbe marathons, marathon-plusses, and Panaracer Paselas are all excellent touring tyres. But it really depends what kind of touring you are expecting to do - paved roads? Mountain trails? B&Bs at night or carrying you gear and camping?

As for tyre width it depends on the clearances built into your bike frame and your brake arms.
  • i would be expecting to have mostly paved roads with the occasional gravel road
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The maximum tyre width is going to depend on your bike. Yes you might well be able to go larger that 32c but check how much clearance you have with the existing tyres.

I'd recommend Continantal Sport Contacts or Gatorskins. But there are plenty of decent alternatives from manufacturers such as Schwalbe and Paserela. Go for a tyre with Kevlar puncutere protection but avoid tyres that offer extreme puncture protection but only at the price of extreme weight.