More Women & Youngters

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
Having recently done the Wiggle No Excuses Sportive and starting towards the back end of the starting grid I ended up overtaking many on the roads whilst I was doing the Epic (80 miler). I was very impressed with the large amount of Ladies and Youngters taking part, apparently a fifth of the 1000 riders were Ladies (200) which I thought was great, as were the number of youngsters.

I wondered, why this event, then it twigged, the event is free and therefore for one household it's not such a huge cost as it would be if a family or partners were to enter. With travelling cost, digs (maybe) and entry fees for more than one it can work out an expensive weekend.

We can't do a lot about fuel prices (except moan), cost of digs (high in UK ) for example you can't get B&B in the Peak District for less than two consecutive nights, but can the organizers do more in the way of discounted entry fees for partners, I know this is a difficult one same genda partners and all that but same household maybe? and lets get them youngters along and keen on the sport because if the stay within the sport they will be paying in full when their older.

Wiggle put on a great event from Huntingdon but their next event the New Forest Spring Sportive for one distance 83miles or the event after that the Ups and Downs Sportive 98miles is a blanket £25.

Can we not learn from the No Excuses Sportive and provide events that are suitable for mixed abilities, No Excuses was 80miles or 40miles and also it gets the partners/youngters more involved by helping them with costs.

Look apon them at least as business for the future or the misses could stop a guy taking part because she wants do something else but what if she got the cycling bug?