Bike for the Dad.

michaelcrowe
michaelcrowe Posts: 22
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
My dad has asked me to find him a new bike. He has been riding the same one since he was about 16, and that was a long time ago... Anyway, he is not wanting spend much more than £200, as he will not be riding it very much. I'm assuming he won't be doing any hardcore off-roading or road-racing, unless there's something i don't know. I would love recommendations, advice or whatever you want to say.
thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whilst he may not be going hardcore offroading or road racing, what WILL he be doing?

This is probably the lowest level bike I'd feel comfortable suggesting....
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • He will probably be cycling on some cycling paths, roads and lanes. When i say cycling paths i mean pretty flat tracks. I think that carrera would be perfect, but i'm not sure whether i could get him to pay all of the £258.99 - although i keep telling him it is very cheap for a bike, he is very money concious... Thanks.
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    You could try this:

Revolution is EBC's own brand and pretty good value. NB sale price only for this weekend...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 333c018337

You can buy online. Dunno about shipping costs, I'm afraid. THey have stores in Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle.
    Whilst he may not be going hardcore offroading or road racing, what WILL he be doing?

This is probably the lowest level bike I'd feel comfortable suggesting....
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

Simon

Tell him it will cost less over time, as less will need replacing quickly.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Revolution is EBC's own brand and pretty good value

I'll second that.

But for 200 I'd be looking at a used bike. Lots of folk buy a bike then barely use it, lots of decent ones around on ebay and gumtree.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Revolution is EBC's own brand and pretty good value

I'll second that.

But for 200 I'd be looking at a used bike. Lots of folk buy a bike then barely use it, lots of decent ones around on ebay and gumtree.
    +1
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, not sure why I didn't mention it, for £200 you'll get a bike at circa 2 years old that would have cost about £600 new, in 2 years the carrera would be worth about £100, the second hand baike still worth £150 - thats the bit to appeal to his money conscious side!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Evans are doing last year's Kona Smoke for £230.

Similar to that Carrera (but comes with guards) and a bit better specced than the Revolution. None of the larger sizes left, though.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    nation wrote:

Similar to that Carrera (but comes with guards) and a bit better specced than the Revolution. None of the larger sizes left, though.

Seen it cheaper than that. :wink:

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    nation wrote:

DD

Yeah, I remember seeing it about for about £180-ish, but I couldn't find it now.

I think it's a discontinued model, so it may be that the stocks are drying up.
  • Thanks for all the advice! I'll see what used bikes i can find locally, and if there aren't any suitable i'll see how much i can get him to strech to for a half-decent new one.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    nation wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    nation wrote:

DD

Yeah, I remember seeing it about for about £180-ish, but I couldn't find it now.

I think it's a discontinued model, so it may be that the stocks are drying up.

I do believe we bought them all.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk