European Sportives

Jinx9
Jinx9 Posts: 14
This year will be the fourth time that I have taken part in the Maratona Dles Dolomites in Italy and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to take part in a well organised, enjoyable ride in fantasic surroundings. However, next year I would like to try something different and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions - taking the following into consideration: a) My boyfriend doesn't like to fly so it would have to be reachable by car, b) it would preferrably have more than one distance as we are at different levels and c) in a warm climate!

Any ideas or recommendations?

Comments

• 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Jinx9

I did the Maratona 2010 and realy wish I was doing it again this year, however we as a group of 10 riders are taking part in Dreilander-Giro (3 Countries Tour) 26/6/11 starting in Austria and it goes up Passo Stelvio.

I'm driving there, so I will post on here as to how it compares :D

I've gotta say having done the Marmotte and Etape 2009, the Maratona was by far the best IMHO :P

Edit - Oh Forgot to say there is a shorter option that by-passes the Stelvio !!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I did the Maratona last year and it was the best sportive I've ever done. A really fantastic day. This year I'm doing the Granfondo Pantani in Aprica instead, with the Pantani Memorial Sportive in August over les Deux Alpes (bit of a Pantani year ) 8)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Jinx9 wrote:
    a) My boyfriend doesn't like to fly so it would have to be reachable by car, b) it would preferrably have more than one distance as we are at different levels and c) in a warm climate!
    If you don't want to fly but want warm weather then France is your best bet. You can get the Eurostar from London and change at Lille or Paris to head south on the TGV train. Go towards Lyon and the Rhone Valley, to places like Valance, Orange and Marseilles. You might need a rental car. But you will find events like the Mont Ventoux, the Challenge Dauphine, the Ardechoise, the Boucles du 13 and more and there are usually different routes, long and short.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    It's a bit different but there is one in Holland almost every second weekend. They tend to start early, be chap (EUR 6 plus 2 for "insurance") although the feed stations are less extensive than i ve heard they are in GB (banana and a current bun type thing) but they tend to be very popular and well signposted...

Ferry to Dunkirk from Dover and it's maybe a 3.5/ 4 hr drive to Amsterdam

Having said that, I ve only done the one so far.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver