Brecon Beacons ride

bigal.
bigal. Posts: 479
I am travelling down to Bristol with work and fancied taking in a 50 to 70 mile ride in the Brecon Beacons as I have never cycled in that area.

Can any of you suggest any good routes or rides with plenty of hills?

Ta.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You could try this one. I have done it a few times and enjoyed it although one or two of the roads can get a bit busy but I guess we all have preferences(watch out for the climb out of Llanover, it's a lovely work out and worth it to get to the top). I suspect folks like gwillis and acidstrato might be able to offer something better as it is their backyard. You could try pinging them a pm.

This is one which I haven't done yet but is the one Robert Penn rode in either CW or C+ recently. Looks lumpy and a bit quieter and is on my list for later in the year.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    For a very hilly and scenic ride you could combine sections TOBM with Devil Ride, eg start Brecon, head up and over Mynydd Illtud passing BBNP visitor centre; drop back down to Sennybridge> Trecastle then take `military road` at Llyswen up and over Eppynt firing ranges, usually open on teh roads, from Tirabad go to outsjirts Llanwryd Wells and tehn continue to llangammarch Wells to meet Garth / Upper Chapel road. Go uphill back onto Eppynt via a 1.5 mile 10% climb. At Upper Chapel TR and follow road back into Brecon
    45 miles / 4000ft climbing, a bit outside Brecon Beacons but mostly very quiet roads and great views

You can add in extra loop by going into Llanwryd Wells and going up and around to Abergwesyn and back to Beluah, and if you really enjoy hills at Abergwesyn head left up to Devils Staircase and retrace back after riding up it :D
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Thanks for the advice.

I will map both routes and PM others as suggested.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    or come with us.... we'll show you a good time.. :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12765722
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • HuwS
    HuwS Posts: 12
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    watch out for the climb out of Llanover, it's a lovely work out.

That's an understatement, that hill is positively evil :)