Installing a compact chainset.

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I'am going to swap my standard chainset for a compact in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me if the front mech is compatible or will I need to change it. I had originally thought that it'd just need moving down a touch but now I'm not so sure if its that simple.

Cheers, Tony.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It will work fine. Just lower it and reset the indexing. You may need to alter the chain length but if the chain is under tension when on small / small then I would not bother. Compacts seem to work better with a slightly long chain.
  • Tonymufc
    Cheers pal.

Tony.
  • Tonymufc
    This is the chainset that I've ordered http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/114819.html but in the description it says splined crank. Yes. Does this mean that its not compatible with the extenal bb? The bike is a 2009 Tarmac Comp.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Thats Shimano Hollowtech 2 crankset, which works with all Shimano external BBs, so it will fit straight into the original Tarmac Comp BB :) The splined bit mentioned is how the non-drive side crankarm fits to the axle.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Tonymufc
    Cheers pal, sigh of relief. Completely inept when it comes to the mechanical side of things. Once again cheers.

Tony. :D
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    To think that none of these people have thought about just selling one pattern of crankset, ie. 110BCD/compact pattern to take all sizes of chainring.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    To think that none of these people have thought about just selling one pattern of crankset, ie. 110BCD/compact pattern to take all sizes of chainring.
    130 and 135 BCD have been the norm for many years now. If you wanted wider spaced rings you got a 'Touring' chainset which was commonly something like 46/28 with a much smaller BCD. 110 has only been with us for about 10 years and mainstream for less. There is no reason not to run 110 with bigger rings. I do just that and have the option of using 50/34, 50/38 or 52/38.
    I think one reason manfacturers do not go over to 110 full time is the snobbery attached to 'standard' chainsets you often see on here. As TA do rings from 33 to 61 for 110 I would not choose anything else now.
  • John.T wrote:
    110 has only been with us for about 10 years and mainstream for less. There is no reason not to run 110 with bigger rings. I do just that and have the option of using 50/34, 50/38 or 52/38.

Not quite correct, 110 has been in use for donkeys years on MTBs before they went to 42/32/22 style ratios. But you're right 110 is far more flexible for mere mortals