Help - cassette advice for a nodder!

cycling psychologist
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hello! I have recently got my hands on a lovely dahon vitesse but she needs a bit of love! Having done a bit of diagnostics (please, at this point be aware that I have only just found out what a derailler is never mind what it does!) i have decided that a new cassette is in order (probably a new chain to - you seem to change them together).

I've checked the spec and it is a 7 speed 11-30 shimano cassette. I want to get one locally but can only find a 7 speed 12-32 - will this work? I get the number of speeds bit, but the other numbers baffle me!

I am hoping to have a go at this this weekend, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you from a nodding novice!

S :-)

Comments

• Definately replace the chain as well if you are changing the cassette. The numbers relate to the numbers of teeth on the smallest and biggest ring. It should work fine but will make a small difference to your gearing. Your LBS ought to be able to advise and suggest suitable chain. Do you have the right tools to change the cassette and break / fix the chain? Do you know how to set the right chain length? You will need to make adjustments when fitted, but there are lots of useful videos on the web. Check out Park tools and Youtube for hints.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I guess you've got this as a commuter bike? If there are no really steep hills on your commute then I'd seriously consider a cassette with a closer gearing - you'll have a much more usable range of gears. If you can get a 7 speed 11-25 or 12-25 then consider that.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • so, to sound daft - theyd fit on the bike? I'm not sure what the numbers mean!

S.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The numbers relate to the numbers of teeth on the gears, so an 11-30 has an 11 tooth top gear and a 30 tooth lowest gear, the smaller the number the faster you go before your legs are spinning to fast, conversely the bigger number lowest gears will allow you to climb slightly steeper hills as it changes the overall gear ratio.

Going from an 11-30 to a 12-32 will reduce your top speed slightly but allow you to climb slightly steeper hills, the emphasis on being slightly, it will fit, although the rear deraileur setting may need tweaking slightly, its also possible that if your chain is set as short as oit can be, it will now be a fraction too short, although most original chains are too long.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Perfect - thank you all! I am happy to lose a bit of speed for more hill work so it sounds like the 12-32 will be perfect. I ma going tool shopping today :-) which is rather exciting! I have watched a fair few web videos and read a bit so hopeful that with a bit of patience I will get there. I'm rather enjoying noodling with the bike in general.

I'll let you know how it goes!

BW

S :-)
  • All is well and good! I have replaced the cassette, the chain, brake cables and seat post - so a busy Sunday. Been out for a test ride and all works! Thanks so much for all the help and advice.

I think the noodling might be addictive though....
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Go you! :)
  • Cafewanda wrote:

:D yeah, quite pleased with myself - and it works!!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, I recently changed from a 11-28 to 12-34. My knees are suffering from the change, but it works.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How on earth do your knees hurt from going to a shorter gearing? Longer I can understand, but shorter?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    spinning more??
    FCN = 4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cafewanda wrote:

:D yeah, quite pleased with myself - and it works!!

Well done! You are now a better fettler than DaddyD (he's lost the right to call himself 'Don').
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    [

Well done! You are now a better fettler than DaddyD (he's lost the right to call himself 'Don').

Now, to be fair, that sounded like extreme fettling gone awry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I can't remember him being successful with any fettle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:

A tad harsh. No?

CP, any time the fettling mood strikes I have a hybrid aching for some attention :oops: :)
  • ahhh cafwanda, I think I need to fettle in private for the time being - I'm a beginner! :-)