iPad idiot...

Stick8267
Stick8267 Posts: 154
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
I have an iPad and think it's great but see no need to rush out and get version two as opposed to the bloke sleeping outside the Apple store in London. He's been there two days so he can be first in the queue, annoyed he was only fourth when version one came out!

He has even missed his son's 12th birthday to be there!!

It's nor a limited edition.

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If it was for a ticket for a concert that is a guaranteed sell out or some limited edition art work then i can understand the point (because spending a certain amount of time spent in a queue is going to be better 'value' than having to purchase on the secondary market) but for some mass produced consumer good...what is the point. Just makes the people in line look like losers with no life.

Missing his kids birthday too, what a cock.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,955
    I think the fact he's managed to breed at all is a little disturbing.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087

+ this. But then he's a bloke, they do stupid things don't they?

Like breathe...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Like breathe...

Love n hugs

DD

We can find a pump when we need one though.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Like breathe...

Love n hugs

DD

We can find a pump when we need one though.

Oh I found one Aggie, I found one...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I had a good laugh reading about him in the metro this morning. With a photo of him sitting outside, on his own. It reported his first name as Jewels :shock: sounds like he was born and bred to be a c0ck.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Two theories about the human, evolution and hence continuous improvement or made in God's imagine, this bloke doesn't fit either criteria.
  • I think the fact he's managed to breed at all is a little disturbing.
    LOL :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Prat

He can get an iPad next week, he's son won't be 12 again
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    There was a time when this sort of thing was for the few geeks.
    Now it seems everyone wants to be a fanboi.

It's so bad I'm avoiding all that crap, and getting slagged off for having a Nokia rather than an iPhone/EvilGoogleBot
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • But on your Nokia you can get the best free satnav (OVI maps, see the gadget show test) and the excellent Sportstracker (also free) and you don't have to pay through the nose for the privalidge of owning the device.

Have nothing to do with 'apple worship'.
  • nwallace
    Sportstracker is a chocolate teapot; won't upload anything by 3G or WiFi and loads of complaints about it.

And yes the OVI maps are good, but still doesn't beat knowing how to read an OS map. (and being able to memorise routes)
    Do Nellyphants count?

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    edited March 2011
    i've not done the queuing thing, but i did have a somehow deeply satisfying encounter with one...

when the ipod was about to be launched in the uk, i wanted one as i was about to go on hols and it would save weight/space vs carrying my md player and stack of disks

a couple of us made the executive decision to mix business with shopping, and attend the mac expo in islington where they'd go on sale first

we checked out the micro anvika stand, they'd be selling them from 1100 (i think, might be an hour or so out)

wandered around, had a snack, arrived back at micro anvika about a minute before sale time, it was surrounded by people, a large percentage really were wearing anoraks, about 2-3 rows deep

the clock ticked down, just seconds to go

the chap the other side of the counter lifted the first box

the surrounding throng was transfixed, hunched low over the counter in anticipation

as the final second passed, he said something like "who wants one?"

i calmly leant forward over the people in front, said "american express?", and bought the first ipod

my mate said the looks i got from the crowd were absolutely lethal, but not one said a word

fanboys, pftt!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I was in Chichester shopping for other odds and ends... and noted the APple retailer.

Half a dozen in the queue, so waited half an hour, and then got a raffle voucher for the model I wanted, went into pub, returned an hour later and bought it.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • nwallace
    sungod wrote:
    when the ipod was about to be launched in the uk, i wanted one as i was about to go on hols and it would save weight/space vs carrying my md player and stack of disks

Thing is, the iPod wasn't even a new product, there had been similar devices available since at least 2000; although they had hard drives rather than flash memory.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• sungod
    nwallace wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Thing is, the iPod wasn't even a new product, there had been similar devices available since at least 2000; although they had hard drives rather than flash memory.

eh? the first ipod had a hard drive (which i subsequently buggered up by running with it)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    sungod wrote:

eh? the first ipod had a hard drive (which i subsequently buggered up by running with it)

This is true. I bought one in 2003 and took it travelling around NZ with me. IIRC it was available in 2 sizes, then Apple introduced a new version if the iPod, and the drive sizes increased again.
  • sungod
    yes, and i succeeded in buggering up at least two more before it went flash, running and ipods just weren't compatible in those days

thankfully warranty saved me, had some excellent arguments with apple in the process

i'm just not to be trusted with anything delicate :-)
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Ahhh, the geek queue!

I too agree that it seems to be getting more popular now. Midnight launches of games always entertain me. Lines of spotty kids and parents/ grandparents who have been dragged to the shop to buy it for their kid. It frustrates me though that they let a parent/ grandparent buy an 18 rated game which they know full well is for the kid. Yet they seem to frown on that behaviour with alcohol and cigarettes, but games get away with it.

Also, the silly amount of 'unboxing' videos on YouTube is mental too. People need to have things the day they came out, and if they can't, they enjoy watching someone else unbox it. :shock:
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • nwallace
    sungod wrote:

Eh couldn't remember if the original iPod was Hard Drive or Flash based, largely because I didn't pay that much (read any) attention to them.

(That Eh by the way is in the Dundee form, although I'm not sure exactly which one.)
    Do Nellyphants count?

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    tebbit wrote:
    Two theories about the human, evolution and hence continuous improvement or made in God's imagine, this bloke doesn't fit either criteria.

Ah, but this IS evolution. Evolution creates mutant offspring, some better able to cope with the environment and some less so. The stronger survive more often and over time the breed improves. Men have buggered this process up by doing less fighting and women have buggered this process up by still breeding with weaklings. It's mainly the women's fault, enhanced by the ultimate male invention: alcohol.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Stick8267 wrote:

He has even missed his son's 12th birthday to be there!!

Having hosted am 11th birthday party a couple of weeks ago i can understand wholly why he'd prefer to sleep on the street.

Bob
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Clearly the process of natural selection is failing miserably.......

A grown man camping outside a shop and missing his child's birthday just so that he can be "first" to buy an Ipad clearly has has mental issues......
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Worst I've seen was just after Christmas when the wife and daughter dragged me shopping and wanted to go to Hollister. There was a a 45 minute queue just to get into the shop, you then had to try to look at the clothing (you need the eyes of a mole to see anything in there!) before queuing to pay. The strangest part was that people actually joined the queue and then asked what it was for! :shock: Still, can't complain as I just went and had a nice relaxing coffee and left them all to it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Be fair - it is a bit thinner than the old one and some of the stuff they deliberately left out of the first version is now switched on........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Pross wrote:
    Worst I've seen was just after Christmas when the wife and daughter dragged me shopping and wanted to go to Hollister. There was a a 45 minute queue just to get into the shop, you then had to try to look at the clothing (you need the eyes of a mole to see anything in there!)

Take some bike lights next time your dragged in there by SWMBO. Never been in the Brizzle branch as I don't ride my bike into town as it's too close.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.