What's the point of training?

Stick8267
Stick8267 Posts: 154
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
so spring appears and my wife decides to dust off the bike after 6 months and commute in to town.

This week she's done some 180km at an average speed of about 25km/h through central London traffic plus red lights with no obvious side effects, commenting last night that she was alright because she had only been 'pootling' along!!

So why did I bother with heart rate zones etc?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    She's better than you. :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I guess if you are training to ride an average of 15mph.....then there is no point. most moderately fit people can average 15mph over 111 miles...when it is split into several shorter distances....

bet she couldn't average that over 111 miles in one hit!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Stick8267
    True to both points.

I could take her out for a long ride and see if she breaks down but the longer term repercussions of leaving her behind.........
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Stick8267 wrote:
    True to both points.

I could take her out for a long ride and see if she breaks down but the longer term repercussions of leaving her behind.........

But what if she burns you off?

There you are, newly shaved legs, maillot jauned up, Di2 all charged up, tubs at 180 psi, new Obermayers all polished and she pootles off into the distance on her Raleigh shopper with a fresh loaf of bread and some flowers in the front basket, Laura Ashley frock a flappin' in the wind ...........

My wife is not a cyclist at all - the day she overtook my best friend (ex British champion, ex medal winning European champs) on her Raleigh in flip flops and a flappy drees with a cheery "back in your box my son" is a sight I shall remeber to the day I day. I think that I nearly crashed due to laughing so hard.

You have been warned :)
  • Stick8267
    I've spent many a day following her up hills, bikes or hiking, struggling to keep up.

Mind you being behind her is not so bad. The view is fantastic......
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Whatever
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    It's a fair average, but I don't believe London is that hilly, try doing that average in Yorkshire around Halifax and the Pennines without any training and it may be a different story.
    It might not and I might just have to accept that I am unfit. :?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Yossie wrote:
    Stick8267 wrote:
    True to both points.

But what if she burns you off?

There you are, newly shaved legs, maillot jauned up, Di2 all charged up, tubs at 180 psi, new Obermayers all polished and she pootles off into the distance on her Raleigh shopper with a fresh loaf of bread and some flowers in the front basket, Laura Ashley frock a flappin' in the wind ...........

My wife is not a cyclist at all - the day she overtook my best friend (ex British champion, ex medal winning European champs) on her Raleigh in flip flops and a flappy drees with a cheery "back in your box my son" is a sight I shall remeber to the day I day. I think that I nearly crashed due to laughing so hard.

Was he trying? Was he ill?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    dont risk it on a long run -she gon kick yo ass.

she be callin you beatch by the end of the day :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    freehub wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    Stick8267 wrote:
    True to both points.

Was he trying? Was he ill?

Taken roughly and unawares from behind I believe (oooeeerrr), but still piss funny. He has never lived it down. And if I have my way, never will.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Stick8267 wrote:
    so spring appears and my wife decides to dust off the bike after 6 months and commute in to town.

This week she's done some 180km at an average speed of about 25km/h through central London traffic plus red lights with no obvious side effects, commenting last night that she was alright because she had only been 'pootling' along!!

What are you getting 25kmh from?
    Might want to check the calibration of her speedo.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    nwallace wrote:
    Stick8267 wrote:

What are you getting 25kmh from?
    Might want to check the calibration of her speedo.

25kmh over 180km is doable... :s
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Yes, I think you missed the point in my post.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Stick8267
    25 km/h is based on time of journey and known distance. Interestingly it includes all the time spent stationary and crawling through commuter traffic which can be up to 25% of journey in central London so don't know what the riding speed might be.

Could, of course, all be rather inaccurate. The Garmin I got her for Christmas will clear things up.
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Teach wrote:
    It's a fair average, but I don't believe London is that hilly, try doing that average in Yorkshire around Halifax and the Pennines without any training and it may be a different story.
    It might not and I might just have to accept that I am unfit. :?
    I live and ride here, hills a plenty.