Bottom bracket gone after 50 miles??

wozza84
wozza84 Posts: 10
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Mongoose Tyax Elite 2010 3 months ago and when it had its free service I mentioned when pedalling it was not smooth and there was a clicking / grinding noise. I was told it was the gears that needed adjusting so they went ahead with it. Now its making an awful noise when putting pressure on the pedals and it feels so rough. I rang the shop where I bought it from and they reckon its the bottom bracket which needs repalcing plus will cost me some money. Surely 50 miles / 3 months old the bracket wont need replacing?? Its only been used on road and Grafham water. Any suggestions please as I dont feel I should pay for anything as it did not feel right from the beginning and Im a little annoyed its broken already :( ?? Many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they can go at anytime. it all depends on where you have ridden and in what you ride and how you clean your bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    Take off chain, turn cranks by hand - if they are still rough and grindy yes its a buggered BB.
    Even the cheap sealed cartridges don't usually fail in 3 months / 50 miles, unless you've got mud & grit in the bearings, for example by using a pressure washer. Otherwise it could just be a dud BB or plain bad luck. Parts like that aren't usually covered by warranty but a replacement FSA shouldn't cost you more than £10-15. Negotiate with them on any labour charges. You could take the opportunity to upgrade to something slightly better, which may (or may not) last longer, for £25-30.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am not sure what cranks you have, but if it is a design like Shim HT2, the crank preload is adjustable. If a ham fisted muppet put your cranks on he may have overtightened. This would kill a BB in 50 miles.

Learning this lesson cost me a BB =-(

when it says finger tight it means it!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Most decent shops would replace a BB under warranty if the bike is as new as you say. If it is obvious that the bike has been pressure washed or neglected then you are less likely to have it free. If a BB is creaking after so little time it is probably a dud unit.
  • wozza84
    edited March 2011
    Well took the bike back to the shop yesterday and they checked over everything. They said the cause of the noise and grinding was that the jockey wheel is still wearing in and may take upto 300 miles. They took it for a ride and did say it does fell awful but there is nothing they can do until the rear jockey wheel are worn in. It dont feel like a jockey wheel but then again I am fairly new to the bike scene.

Forgot to mention that the shop said the BB is in fine working order. I dont want to ride my bike it feels that bad
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Jockey wheels need to be worn in, that's bull crap, they're talking out of their arses.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What AndyB said. Absolute tosh. Jockey wheels wear out, not in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Where is this bike shop? I want to purchase their range of components that wear-in, as I'm sick of replacing worn parts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Agreed as above. Smells of bull poo! If the jockey wheels are not the same pitch as the chain then there is a problem!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH i would be going to another LBS for an evaluation of what is wrong.

I would also have a chat with the CAB as if the bike is not fit for you may have the option of returning it and asking for your money back.....

then find a good bike shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • if the BB has gone:

- have you been using a jet wash?
    - the bike shop might have overtightned the BB, howver 5o miles :?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never heard so much rubbish in all my life.....

Worth you turning the bike upside down and and turning the cranks (put light pressure on the rear brakes to load it slightly) then get your ear in close and see if you can figure where the noise is coming from.

The tyax uses SRAM X5 rear mechs which can be prone to picking up crud and then it sit there grinding, in which case the rear mech may need a clean out.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    jockey wheels need wearing!

LOL.

were they laughing when you left the shop?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • wozza84
    if the BB has gone:

- have you been using a jet wash?
    - the bike shop might have overtightned the BB, howver 5o miles :?

I only use a hose to rinse the bike but try to keep away from any bearings.

Can anyone recommend another bike shop near me in st. Ives, Cambs? I dont want to mention the bike shop on here as they will prob see it and cause problems for them.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Forget the mechanical diagnosis (although all the above are good suggestions), its under 3 months old therefore its faulty - that is a legal fact, unless they can show otherwise.

your statutory rights allow you to reject the bike. Remind them of that.

Any fault found within 3 months of purchase is deemed to exist at the point of purchase. End of discussion.

Take the bike somewhere else get the problems diagnosed and then rescind the contract (cancel the purchase due to faults) if you are not happy with the service and buy a bike from the other LBS.

Don't worry about not naming them I think its this shop
    2516987082_64f0d7579d.jpg
    previously called "I saw you coming".[/img]
  • worth adding in that if you paid anything towrds the original purchase of the bike by credit card then call your Credit card company and let them deal with it if the shop get arsey with you.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • wozza84
    Ok called the shop again today abd they will look at it Friday afternoon. I went to halfords last night for a quick second opinion and they think the bottom bracket is to blame. I took the jockey wheels out, cleaned, greased them and the noise is still the same. I paid cash for the bike but im starting to get frustrated as i dont feel safe riding it. I will be so annoyed if im 10 miles from home and then something breaks.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Have you tried the suggestion of dropping the chain off and turning the pedals to see. This is going to be the best test of a pooped bb.

Also check the jockeys are the right way round and that you have gear pulley and jockey in the right place. I'm saying this without any idea what mech you have.

Lastly check the chain clearance on the front mech. If its too low it will chew the teeth on the big cog and make it feel like your bearings are shot.