more generalising guff...

rudderboy
rudderboy Posts: 29
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... clist.html

it's enough to make you want to cross-dress (again) and ride about in front of this women's car...
..............................................................................................

"There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence"

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I like that -- no hi-vis. The journalist still noticed the cyclist was wearing "1950s shades and a pretty floral dress". I'm not entirely sure hi-vis is necessary if you can see what the person's wearing...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    rudderboy wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/8404908/Driven-crazy-by-a-fluttering-Fair-Weather-Cyclist.html

it's enough to make you want to cross-dress (again) and ride about in front of this women's car...

She's married to Piers Morgan. Enough said!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • "Sociologically, polls have shown that they tend to be a preening, upper-middle class bunch" Nice to see high class, well researched journalism in action. Pah!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    what a poisonous piece of journalism
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    That article is confirmation Spring is here. Relax 8)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,396
    So she doesn't like cyclists, or people who sit outside cafes (the bastards!), or French cinema, or Italian piazzas or modern art or.... pretty much anything.

'Never mind' as she might put it, eventually, with all that bile and spite she'll start dissolving herself from the inside out. I never thought I'd feel sorry for Piers Morgan, but now maybe I can feel, if not sympathy, then at least understanding.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Ah, bless. Nice cutesy little article aimed directly at the preening upper-middle class yummy mummy's and the like.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    And of course this lot are so confident on the roads that they will all be plugged into their iPods, calmly humming "lalalalala" along to Sasha Distel as that articulated lorry indicates left.

There are no words...
    I never thought I'd feel sorry for Piers Morgan

Agree with the sentiment there!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Columnists exist to get people onto the website, generating revenue for the paper's owners......it looks like writing controversial things is pretty good at that :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    London's cyclists are a preening, upper-middle class bunch who inhabit a fantasy world, says Celia Walden.

What a load of toss. As the daughter of a Tory MP, she might well be describing herself and her own social position. Silly, irresponsible journalism.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    her skirt might flutter up to reveal a charming pair of white cotton knickers

Was there anything after this line.

I got distracted
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I thought about posting this article, but decided that the Israeli one under it would have gone down better.

it's the comment section, meant to be opinion or a ramble. Amazing thing is that several journos get paid to write a comment about something they saw in their day to day lives each week.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    pulp grade Clarkson-esque "Why can't everyone just be like me?" space filler. Amazing how many people seem to make a living from writing witlessly about their gripes.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    The Telegraphs comments section has been down for most of the day, twitter has been full of "tweets" giving this bloody woman grief, now Disqus is back up and running I will add some grief to the bloody woman's page.
  • I think you lot are missing the point here.

She has every right to be bitter and twisted, and take out her ire on whoever falls into her field of vision.

She has to put up with Piers Morgan clambering all over her, fulfilling his sick carnal desires.

Christ, anyone would live in a world of anger if they had to out up with that.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I quite like Piers... when he purses his little soft mouth and his jellified features are all pulled gently into his own maw, stretching his delicate face flesh over his eyes... I feel quite turned on.
  • bails87
    I quite like Piers... when he purses his little soft mouth and his jellified features are all pulled gently into his own maw, stretching his delicate face flesh over his eyes... I feel quite turned on.
    You owe me a new keyboard.

My old one is full of vomit.
    MTB/CX

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It's a good job she didn't have a close encounter with DDD's tight buns or the article could have been even more disturbing
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    tebbit wrote:
    The Telegraphs comments section has been down for most of the day, twitter has been full of "tweets" giving this bloody woman grief, now Disqus is back up and running I will add some grief to the bloody woman's page.

Why bother with giving her grief. Its what she wants, extra publicity from which she could write another article complaining about all the grief the 'nasty cyclists' have give her.

It really isn't worth the energy.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    What a miserable individual - is there anything or anyone in London she doesn't hate? She and Piers Morgan probably deserve each other
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    It's really not worth getting upset about.

Do I think she actually hold those views? - No

Do I think she was stuck for a column and went for a cheap topic that was guaranteed to cause a backlash and generate a load of pageviews and debate to keep the advertisers happy? - Yes

Don't fall into the trap, as if anyone else would actually read her columen anyway :roll:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Mattsaw wrote:
    It's really not worth getting upset about.

Do I think she actually hold those views? - No

Do I think she was stuck for a column and went for a cheap topic that was guaranteed to cause a backlash and generate a load of pageviews and debate to keep the advertisers happy? - Yes

Don't fall into the trap, as if anyone else would actually read her columen anyway :roll:
    +1 I doubt she believes any of it. Sounds like she was feeling grumpy and has been briefed to do some stirring...easy to pick on a vulnerable road user who won't really stick up for themselves...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    I'm not sure what you're all getting so worked up about. The main targets of her ire are cyclists who act as though oblivious to the traffic around them - not signaling, wearing ipods etc. I've read more venomous rants against the same on these forums.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    bails87 wrote:
    Columnists exist to get people onto the website, generating revenue for the paper's owners......it looks like writing controversial things is pretty good at that :wink:
    On XS we get around this by quoting the article in full and img-ing the pictures in the OP to avoid said rag from getting excess (you see what I did there?) advertising revenue.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    yawn. another of the infinite number of monkeys passes out their attempt at shakespear.
  • I don't mind "FWC", I don't care what weather they ride on, as long as they ride. More bikes on the road makes me happy, and if I have to slow down when I approach a FWC, or somebody who obviously is not very experienced, then I damn slow down, big deal. I'm not a driver after all!
  • bails87
    I don't mind "FWC", I don't care what weather they ride on, as long as they ride. More bikes on the road makes me happy, and if I have to slow down when I approach a FWC, or somebody who obviously is not very experienced, then I damn slow down, big deal.

+1

And I am a driver!
    MTB/CX