Police & RLJs this morning Clapham Common on to Cedars

2»

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Coming up to Trafalgar Square today (a bit where you have motorbikes in the bike lane, cars in the ASL and cyclists pushing forward and jumping lights, I thought "oh, things are nice and ordered here, everyone doing what they should be doing" - reason - 2 police cyclists on the far rhs of the box. Briliiant - more like that please.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RoadUser wrote:
    ...and I don't understand why cyclists think that they are safer at the front of the traffic. :

You're right. Drivers can't be trusted to avoid anything put infront of them.

:roll:

"Sorry mate, I didn't see you"... In broad daylight.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    RoadUser wrote:
    ...and I don't understand why cyclists think that they are safer at the front of the traffic. :

You're right. Drivers can't be trusted to avoid anything put infront of them.

"Sorry mate, I didn't see you"... In broad daylight.

Most of them are too busy staring at their satnav cos they're too f*cking stupid to know where they need to go :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, where are my car keys?

Can't say I've ever been foaming at the bit at cyclists when I drive.

Never thrown something out of the car at them.

Never sworn at them.

• rick_chasey
    Anyway, road user - let's hear it.

How often do you cycle during rush hour?

Any points on your license?

Ever exceed the speed limit?

I bet you've run amber a few times...

Recently had a call on your handset whislt driving? Mmm?

Give me your best.

I'm bored at work and irritated. I'm up for a lil fight.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I'll add to that.

Have you ever sat in a huge tailback fuming at all the traffic holding you up while cyclists breeze by without a care in the world? AND THEY DON'T EVEN PAY ROAD TAX!!!!!!

Suck it up buttercup :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    RoadUser wrote:
    I just don't understand why the police perceive a patch of green tarmac is somehow safer even though it is full of traffic and also how a POLICE motorcyclist can essentially jump a red and sit in the ASL and then have the temerity to have a go at me! Utterly ridiculous....

...and I don't understand why cyclists think that they are safer at the front of the traffic. When cyclists accumulate at the ASL All the rest of the traffic want to do is overtake the slow and woobling cyclists. It just simply frustrates motorcyclists and drivers.
    Cyclists run the same risk at every traffic light when they stop at the front of the traffic.

Also, why do cyclist think they are going faster than other traffic? They might have a private race with fellow cyclists but they're just a nuisance to other rooadusers.
    I say keep to the cycling lane and let faster traffic thru. Simple, don't hold up the traffic!
    :shock:[/quote]

What an utter load of rubbish from a troll.... I am generally travelling AT LEAST at the same speed as motor traffic if not faster than it in central London, in fact I get annoyed by idiot drivers sat in cars, crawling in traffic at 10mph or less blocking my route ahead when I could be travelling at 20mph. I frequently cycle back through central London after meeting mates etc, whilst the other half gets the train or gets a lift in a car and 99% of the time, I am home 1st and often I have showered, changed and been watching telling for 10 mins.... Cars faster than bikes - Pah!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • RoadUser
    RoadUser Posts: 5
    [quote="
    RoadUser, you don't use the roads in London do you? :lol:

Its easy to be as quick as the traffic and I can filter much quicker than a motorbike but you don't see me getting upset by how slow all these other road users are that hold me up.

p.s. whilst you think your trolling, I completely agree with the RLJ fines :wink:[/quote]

Filter? who said anything about filtering?

Anyway, I normally sit back at the lights and let the ones in a hurry overflow the ASL and when the lights go green, see them struggling to get off the mark and gain some speed while the rest of the traffic watches and waits with great patience.

...'I'm home and watching TV before my mates ....."
    I don't understand why cyclist think that commuting is a race I suppose that's why some jump the red lights so that they can be ahead in their own race!

...and how about looking and trying to signal when turning, well ideally before turning!
    :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    RoadUser wrote:
    ...and how about looking and trying to signal when turning, well ideally before turning!
    :shock:

Do you not see cars failing to indicate?

I refuse to believe you don't.

And as for commuting - it's not a race, but firstly - you suggested cars were faster in urban environments than bicycles - hence the rebuttal, and secondly - the speed is a distinct advantage when commuting, since, by it's very grim nature, people want to spend as little time as possible doing it. Hence all the road rage car drivers seem to get when they feel they're being held up by a bicycle.

Next.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Gosh, so your a sensible cyclist, welcome aboard. Although I'm not sure why you've decided to come here trolling thinking that the BR boards are going to be full of bimblers & inexperienced fair weather riders.

Your preaching to the converted. (most anyway)

Why is getting home in a good time a race?

Why would I take 2 hours getting home when I can (safely) do it in 1 hour 20?!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    1 hr 20?

Think you should pump your tyres up.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Agree, RLJers should be fined.

You're in the commuting thread so you'll be talking about cycling at rush hour. DfT state average rush hour speed of traffic is 9.3mph. It would only take me 10mins longer to run to work than drive. Cycling, I tend to average 16mph and I'm on a very traffic light heavy route. So cars should really make way for fast moving traffic...

I do look, I do signal, I don't RLJ. There are certainly plenty of crap cyclists, there are also plenty of crap motorists.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    1 hr 20?

Think you should pump your tyres up.

I'd like to see anybody try it faster without RLJ or pavement riding!

When the roads open I'm rarely below 20mph; its all the stop starting in Chiswick/Hammersmith/Earls Court/Parliament Square etc etc.

Maybe you can help me out! With the route, not my tyres :wink:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12774823
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I often don't signal when not necessary - the roads I cycle along tend to have so many pot holes & speed bumps it's best to keep hands on the bars...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    but if you RLJ you lose the SCR .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    iPete - I retract my earlier statement. Thought you were still heading into Victoria. 1hr 20 is perfectly acceptable - thats how long my 20 mile commute takes. Tried every which way and they all take the same.
  • rick_chasey
    C'mon road user - surely you're only sparring?

Give us your best.

Tell us why cyclists are terrible, and what set their terrible behaviour apart from car drivers (though clearly they are not mutually exclusive groups).
  • iPete
    iPete - I retract my earlier statement. Thought you were still heading into Victoria. 1hr 20 is perfectly acceptable - thats how long my 20 mile commute takes. Tried every which way and they all take the same.

Oh man, I thought you were going to offer a miracle, I've given up already on finding quicker routes!
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    ASLs do encourage the mentality in newer (?) cyclists that they must get to the ASL even if there are other cyclists already stopped behind the first car since it's a bit tight to get through and the lights are about to change.

The annoying thing then is that it takes ages for the wobblers to get off the line and then the cyclist who stopped somewhere sensible is also held up. Grrrrrr
  • RoadUser
    RoadUser Posts: 5
    Anyway, road user - let's hear it.
    How often do you cycle during rush hour?
    Any points on your license?
    Ever exceed the speed limit?
    I bet you've run amber a few times...
    Recently had a call on your handset whislt driving? Mmm?
    Give me your best.
    I'm bored at work and irritated. I'm up for a lil fight.

Sorry to disappoint.... I'm a cyclist and yes I cycle everyday, yes at rush hour.
    Nope! no points on licence.
    ..and no, I don't drive in central London, cyclist make it too dangerous! :shock:
    Always switched off mobile while cycling ...or driving.

Mind you, I never see cars travelling along cycle lanes, ...however I'm see cyclist all over the road behaving in an appalling manner. No wonder more and more drivers think cyclist are a nuisance.

...and just because some drivers need retraining that doesn't mean cyclist should behave just as badly....

...and yes I can average 20mph too.

Hey guys, face facts and acknowledge that a lot of cyclists are giving cycling a bad name ...and when a cyclist is involved in an accident is too easy to blame the driver ....but I wonder who's fault it really is.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Sketchley wrote:
    I suspect if it was an offence to cross the junction on red when there is no white line it would also mean it would be an offence to cross a toucan crossing on red as well.

If there's no white line the stop line is the light itself, i.e. it's illegal to pass the light when it's red.

A toucan crossing showing a red light is only advisory to pedestrian and cyclists.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    @prj45

We covered that on page one a few months ago.
    Sketchley wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    See here, at 3 a and b:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 ... on/43/made

Perhaps even Mr Loophole might struggle...

So the absense of a white line does not mean an absence of a stop line. That's my new thing learnt today and would also cover the Queen street junction too.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5