Choosing a groupset

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm sure some of this probably gets asked a lot.

I am looking to buy a new bike and I'm torn between getting SRAM Rival or Shimano 105 groupsets.

I have been using 105 for 3 years now and have no problems with it.

However I have switched to SRAM on my MTB and find it more positive and needing less maintenance.

Are SRAM road gears the same?

Which offers the best value?

What are the advantages of each?
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Man, that gets asked a lot!!! :)
    Got an LBS you can go to for a test ride?
    I'm sure they both work as well as each other so it's what suits you.
    I prefer the ergonomics of the Campag shifters etc.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Exactly, look at ergonomics and see what you prefer. New 105 is also changed a bit from yours.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I've used all three manufacturers and find there's not a major difference in terms of performance or maintenance. Imo the only notable differences are: ergonomics, appearance and weight. Given you're looking at the lower tier, I don't think weight is a big consideration, so it's really down to which looks and feels nicer to you. My personal preference at that price range would be centaur > 105 > rival.
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Running all 3, IMO SRAM every day of the week. I could give reasons but there’s no point as it's down to you. All I will say is that SRAM is more Efficient IMO.
  • dawebbo
    Running all 3, IMO SRAM every day of the week. I could give reasons but there’s no point as it's down to you. All I will say is that SRAM is more Efficient IMO.

Just curious - in what way do you think it is more efficient?
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Camp I have to move to change to a smaller cog, as the front of the hood is too far past the shifter button.

Shim. Moving the full break lever to move to a larger cog.

SRAM all that moves are my fingers.

That said Camps transition sounds better than SRAM, (Veloce - Force).

"Awaiting incoming"
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Having the single lever on the SRAM makes more sense (to me) than having to move the whole brake lever on Shimano, also, a properly setup SRAM is much quicker and positive on the changes than Shimano.

Ergonomics are better on Shimano, hoods nicer to hold, plus its easier to trim and feather on shimano.

6 of one and half a dozen of them other IMO, theres no real winner (although SRAM is lighter and I prefer the "carbon" levers on my rival setup)
  • dawebbo
    Fair points.

Maybe I have long thumbs, but don't experience that issue with the campag shifters, and I find thumb shifting feels a bit more intuitive when you're sitting up a bit. That said I prefer the sram and shimano when on the drops.

I like the fact that you move the lever on shimano as it's easy to downshift and break at the same time - I don't think flicking the lever is anymore effort than a push on the sram.

I'd happily ride with any of the 3. Only thing I would say is an italian frame should have an italian groupset :-)
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    RC856 wrote:
    I prefer the ergonomics of the Campag shifters etc.

+1. The Athena Carbon 11 speed is a good group set that won't break the bank.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to try & get a test of both, but I swaying more towards the SRAM at the moment.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Never ridden with Campag but I much prefer Sram to Shimano.....the changes are quicker and I have also noticed that not so much maintenance is needed to keep the gears in trim.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn