Cape Argus Route

jacroz
jacroz Posts: 30
Hi

I'm in Cape Town next week and have the opportunity to do a ride on Friday. A few of us are thinking of following the route used on the Cape Argus (http://www.cycletour.co.za/index.php/route/route-map/). Has anybody done this route before (and in particular on a day other than the actual event day). Is it easy to follow, whats the traffic like, anything to be wary of etc...?

Alternatively any other rides you could recommend in the Cape Town area. We would be looking for c 100km ride.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jimbosome
    Jimbosome Posts: 57
    I've done the route on race day - absolutely magic!

Hopefully someone else can give you proper details, but a couple of pointers from what I know of non-race day riding.

There is no way I would follow the route out of Cape Town towards Kalk Bay - its on a big urban dual carriage way. I'm not sure about alternative routes, might be best to ask your hotel to arrange a lift out of town.

Kalk Bay would be quite busy getting quieter towards the Cape. I've cycled around Noordhoek/tHout bay and the trip along Chapmans Peak is one of the best routes I've ever done (its a toll road for cars, so quite quiet). I think cycling on from Llandudno in towards Cape Town would be OK, but it is very busy and lots of queuing traffic around Camps Bay. I would stop for a beer there!

have fun!