Crash photos

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm looking for some help. As you may guess from my name I am a teacher. Our Y6 (10/11 year old) took part in cyclability. The staff were really good and sensibly pushed the need for wearing a helmet. Now I know there will be some of you who tell me why you don't need a helmet, but that is not the message I want to push.
Having completed the training today, the majority of children said they still would cycle without a helmet.
Please could you post or send me any reasonable photos of you or a friend who's had a crash and the helmet has minimised their injuries. please do NOT post pictures of horrific accidents that's not what I am wanting to use, I want to show how the helmet takes the impact and you've either come away with no marks or only a grazed face etc.
If posting a picture is a headache (I don't know how to do it, please PM me and i'll send you my e-mail address.)
Cheers

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I haven't got any photos, but I'm also a teacher. Get a water-melon, and get the kids to paint it or cover it in paper. Stick a wig on it, eyes, etc. Give him/her a name. May I suggest 'Melonie'. Then, once they've really bonded with her, take the kids outside and drop her on some hard ground from a Y6 kids head height.

Splat.

Bye bye Meloney. Hello traumatised kids / memorable lesson.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I haven't got any photos, but I'm also a teacher. Get a water-melon, and get the kids to paint it or cover it in paper. Stick a wig on it, eyes, etc. Give him/her a name. May I suggest 'Melonie'. Then, once they've really bonded with her, take the kids outside and drop her on some hard ground from a Y6 kids head height.

Splat.

You had lambs at your school didn't you? Come on, admit it...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    That idea is brilliant but sticking a helmet on it then smacking it with a baseball bat would be better then take the helmet off again and smack it with the bat.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • I might be able to help. Had an accident last year in which the helmet took an absolute beating. I left the helmet with my mum becuase she's also a teacher and wanted to use it for the same purpose. I'll see if I have any pictures of it and if not I'll try and get her to send me some.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Why not pick 2 kids at random. Show them a baseball bat. Ask them which one of them wants to wear the helmet........

I'm also a teacher. :lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Well I'm not a teacher.

I always wear a helmet. My children did cycling proficiency three years ago and always wear a helmet. They very rarely cycle on the road, most of our family cycling is on towpaths, old railway lines, or other cycleways.

Yet I'm deeply uneasy about your post, in particular:

'but that is not the message I want to push.'

Why not do a bit more research yourself and offer them some of the arguments in a form they can understand, rather than pushing your own message?

Are you old enough to remember the pictures of diseased lungs we got in anti-smoking lessons at school? How many of your classmates stopped smoking as a result?

James
  • ratsbeyfus wrote:

Splat.

/end thread

Or, if you are not sure that will do "the trick" ask them if they would rather be wearing a helmet or be without one if Vinnie was doing this to you, same result, just much more fun to watch. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83dHET-3gZM
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Splat.

You could cut out eyeholes and use 2 peeled boiled eggs for eyes and dram corneas on them with a sharpie pen. It will add more pathos, I believe. :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Pigtail wrote:
    Well I'm not a teacher.

I always wear a helmet. My children did cycling proficiency three years ago and always wear a helmet. They very rarely cycle on the road, most of our family cycling is on towpaths, old railway lines, or other cycleways.

Why not do a bit more research yourself and offer them some of the arguments in a form they can understand, rather than pushing your own message?

Are you old enough to remember the pictures of diseased lungs we got in anti-smoking lessons at school? How many of your classmates stopped smoking as a result?

James
    WTF ??
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    Hi Teach

Try this link http://www.bhit.org/

Many years ago my ex worked at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in the kiddies ward. One of the nurses set this up because she was fed up seeing kids lives being ruined from cycling mishaps and accidents, and figured encouraging them to wear helmets would help.

An inspirational woman (as most nurses are) and I was luck enough to spend a Christmas eve with some of her recovered patients - OK, I wasn't a kid (maybe at times I still behave like one), but i've not ridden a bike without wearing a helmet since.

Mark
    Ciao Marco
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Some good suggestions above, and some comical ones :)

I still don't understand why people don't wear a helmet. I never ride without one. After about 3 rides you get used to it, and forget it's even there.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Splat.

Smart year 6 student (e.g. my youngest son) "So shouldn't we wear a helmet all the time in case we trip over?"
    "Coming through..."
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -HEAD.html

Jesus... !

Clicked on the gogole link and that picture of the smashed helmet was there! Pretty incredible escape.

Browne points go to ratsbeyfus. :D
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Pigtail wrote:

James

James, sorry as a teacher I should know better. What I meant to say was please don't let this thread become hijacked with a debate about whether we should or should not wear helmets.

Thanks for all the other useful and unusual comments. Got to say I hadn't thought about searching google images.