Preferred puncture resistant tyres

mingmong
mingmong Posts: 542
edited March 2011 in The workshop
Hello, I've just started commuting a few times a week. My ride is 25mls each way.

Question: In your experience, which is the best puncture resistant roady tire?

At the moment, I have some very old Schwalbe Blizzards. They've been fine, but have just started showing their age.

Any comments, appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    There are lots of good ones, I have two bikes at the moment, one with Conti Gator Hardshells, the other with conti gp4000s, i'd recommend either of them, the marathon plus is often said to be the best puncture resistant tyre but i've never used it, i'm sure it will be but I wanted slicks.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Marathon Pluses are excellent. A cheaper way to fewer punctures is to use re-usable Slime tyre liners.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I use Schwalbe marathon plus and haven't had a single puntcure riding almost every day on them for 2 years. The negative is that they're on the heavy side.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Cheers for responding everyone.

The LBS have also backed Marathon+ tyres. Gator's were also mentioned.

I'm not really bothered about the weight - just don't like getting off my bike at the side of busy roads. Although, now the days are drawing out, it shouldn't be that bad.

Roll on better weather :D

Ming

EDIT: Where's the cheapest place on the net to buy Marathons?
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    If you can go skinny I can totally recommend Bontrager All Weather Hardcase.
  • I am another advocate of marathon pluses I have them on my training bike and although heavy they are very tough
  • I've been using Specialized Armadillos for a few years, as they come as standard on the last two bikes I've owned, and they seem pretty decent. Whenever I come to replace them I'm always amazed at the collossal number of fatal-looking injuries the rubber has sustained!
  • Schwalbe Durano Plus...I've had these on for 1000s of miles and they run at 145psi. Not had a puncture (touches every bit of wood around him) yet in over a year. B*llocks! I really shouldn't have said that.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Comparing Marathon Plus with Conti 4000s, Schwalbe Durano etc is a bit like comparing a Renault Espace with a BMW.

Marathons are design to be touring/commuting tyres and as puncture proof as they can be (and they are brilliant at that) Conti 4000, Durano etc are designed to be racing tyres that are resistant to punctures (and they are brilliant at that).

If you commute get Marathoins they will also last for about 6000 miles in my experience. You can get 25mm if want something a bit skinny.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Another vote for marathon-plusses. You put them on and then take them off again many thousands of miles later when they've worn out, with nary a puncture in between. Sure, nobody is ever going to mistake them for racing tyres, but so what? (Unless you're racing) They roll just fine, I have put in many a century ride on them on my touring bike, and the fact that you're never mucking about in the weedy grass on the roadside, fixing a flat, makes this a very easy choice.