Gear Trouble

snowley
snowley Posts: 149
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Hi all

I recently bought a second hand 2010 Specialized Secteur which has full shimano 2300 gears, brakes etc. It has the triple front cog.

I have been on a few rides and I have a problem when changing the gears on the front three cogs. When changing the chain doesn't seem to want to move onto the next cog. This is mainly when changing from the inside gear to the outside. It eventually does move with some aggression with the shifter.

Is this a common problem due to the basic level of the gears or is it a problem that I should look into.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Could be a number of things - most likely poor adjustment of cables / alignment of front gear mech or damaged cables. The operating principle is quite simple, but many people struggle to get it right. Suggest you study www.parktool.com to help with diagnosis and putting it right - it most likely needs a tweak of the gear cable adjuster to increase tension.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    use this guide to set up the front mech properly...

if problems still persist..either you are doing it wrong, or you need a new front mech.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... djustments
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    beat me to it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • snowley
    Thank you both very much for this.

I thought it might need some sort of adjustment.

Thanks for the link too.

Dean
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It could be that you are just not moving the lever far enough. It requires a much bigger movement than the rear one.
  • snowley
    I have had a bit of a fiddle with the bike this morning and all seems to be fixed. The front derailleur wasn't pusshing the chain over far enough.

The true test will be on the next bike ride....