Wiggle & Fraud

elziko
elziko Posts: 41
edited March 2011 in MTB general
For the second time in the last year I have had a bank account emptied or a credit card maxed-out by fraudsters even though I take reasonable precautions with all my cards.

The thing is both of these attempts were within a day or so of placing an order on Wiggle. And I had never suffered from this sort of fraud until I got back into cycling (and hence ordering from Wiggle) about 18 months ago.

I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered this sort of thing immediately after ordering on Wiggle?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elziko
    I have read about CRC but I didn't use them close to the time of either fraud attacks. It was definitely Wiggle.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or a nasty bit of software on your system.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dynastarg9
    dynastarg9 Posts: 103
    I've had cards scammed too. This was always after using Wiggle & CRC and that's because I use them on a regular basis.
    It could be something you bought 2 years ago but the timing meant your details just sufaced now.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just use your credit card online and make sure you've got card protection.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • Just a suggestion.. I try to use PayPal as much as possible.. their business model is based on the secure transfer and storage of card details, so I am inclined to trust them than most online retailers.

Saying that, before wiggle accepted PayPal I used a card and never had any issues.. I agree, probably bad timing.

My card has been skimmed twice, both occasions at petrol stations.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    elziko wrote:
    It was definitely Wiggle.
    Another Internet bike shop bites the dust :)
  • elziko
    .blitz wrote:
    elziko wrote:
    It was definitely Wiggle.
    Another Internet bike shop bites the dust :)

I think you quoted me out of context. It was definitely Wiggle I used, not CRC. :D

I mainly posted here to see if I was the only one - of course it could just be a double coincidence. The bank is refunding me everything that was taken out of my account so that's good.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Wiggle definitely had a PR problem about this a few years back, but I'm not sure any concrete evidence ever came up.

I would use Paypal as it seems more secure (queue the Paypal hate ;-) )
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I got done 3 times and I now only use paypal and not been done since. I would say always use paypal.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Never had any problems with Wiggle, but only used them twice, a few years ago.

I normally stay away from buying online, only thing I get is used stuff from the net, because I send the money with paypal.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    It's all wiggles fault!!!
  • cpk1
    cpk1 Posts: 175
    Not had a problem with wiggle, but my account details were used to buy things 2 days after buying from chain reaction tho so i had to go get a new card do not need that kind of hassle !!!!
    Trail bike: Kona Coiler 06, Rockshox domain 318is, juicy 7s, sun rims s-type.
    Commute bike: Dawes Watoga.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    I pay with paypal then take my card straight back out of there sytem as soon as the payment goes from the paypal account .
  • paul20v wrote:
    I pay with paypal then take my card straight back out of there sytem as soon as the payment goes from the paypal account .

The details won't be stored in your account on Paypal, but will still be retrievable from someone who knows how to get the details in the first place. IMO that just adds a bit of extra hassle on your side. Paypal is pretty much the safest alternative for paying online.
  • paul20v wrote:

Bit too much hassle. It's easier to set up your Paypal account to send a text to your mobile with a number you need to input as part of the login process.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    paul20v wrote:

The details won't be stored in your account on Paypal, but will still be retrievable from someone who knows how to get the details in the first place. IMO that just adds a bit of extra hassle on your side. Paypal is pretty much the safest alternative for paying online.
    Apart from when Paypal is hacked.
  • paul20v wrote:

Apart from when Paypal is hacked.

That is true, but paypals only worry is that, they dont have to deal with stock systems and other things, they only have to focus on the security of their systems. No system is completely perfect or hack proof, but like with cashpoints from banks and other ones run by private companies, they are much safer.
  • Anonymous
    Paypal have a lot more to worry about than just monitoring their security. And even then, nothing, is unhackable!
  • Paypal have a lot more to worry about than just monitoring their security. And even then, nothing, is unhackable!
    That is exactly right, as i said.
  • Anonymous
    No, you said
    they only have to focus on the security of their systems
    It has been hacked before, it will be hacked again. STOP teaching people this nonsense that they will always be safe by using paypal.
  • Paypal have a lot more to worry about than just monitoring their security. And even then, nothing, is unhackable!
    That is exactly right, as i said.

If Paypal are hacked then do you seriously think there is no record of the transaction and the card the payment was taken from?
  • No, you said
    they only have to focus on the security of their systems
    It has been hacked before, it will be hacked again. STOP teaching people this nonsense that they will always be safe by using paypal.

I did not say that they will be completely safe. They are never 100% safe online. What I mean is, chain reaction most likely outsources their electronic payment software and security from somewhere. Paypal may not be a safety god, but are much better than most companies security wise. My whole point was that you are much better off with paypal than normal sites digital signatures and monitoring software.

Justa as person above me said, even deleting the card details helps with nothing. There is a record of everything somwhere sitting on a server, and is pointless to waste extra time like deleting cards everytime.
  • Anonymous
    I'd be more concerned about PayPal themselves. Google paypal sucks and enjoy.

They've got a long history of screwing over eBayers with no care in the world, and they're not really a proper bank with no real purchase protections. If you pay, or accept payment that's funded by paypal funds or their default preference of bank funds, there's no protection except what paypal offers, and that's very little (or requires a lot of argument). Buyers or sellers can get payments blocked and reversed with the other party having little say in the matter. Funds they hold are not protected in cases like this or hacks on their system or your account, and their attitude is one of "tough".

If I use them, I insist on only using my credit card for payment and I'm very cautious about person or web site I'm buying from. PayPal is a common system for fraudsters to use to accept payments as it's a quick and easy way to get a system for a cheap dodgy web site run by Nigerian scammers etc.

But anyway.

Credit cards can even get hit by fraud without even using them. Had one of mine hitt a number of years back for a load of small value Amazon payments, and I only got it for a cheap balance transfer and never used it anywhere for purchases.

I've had a few hits with cards, despite my paranoid obsession with security. Each time the card issuer sorted it out in no time, and apart from the one above, I didn't have to contact them, they contacted me. Though a curious one recently from Egg where they replaced the card of a load of people due to some potential risk, but wouldn't say what it was.