Wheel upgrades for an Allez

JohnBoyUK
JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Am currently running my Allez Elite (2010) with the standard Mavic wheels but I've been looking around for a new wheelset and keeping the old Mavic's for spare and on the turbo.

Would Fulcrum Racing 5s be considered a good upgrade? Would I notice much difference in the ride? I'm currently doing around 100-150 miles a week on the bike if thats any help.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• lef
    lef Posts: 728
    yes I think you would notice it but if you went the next step up to say fulcrum 3 or RS80 (my choice...and they really made my allez more comfortable - £311 on ribble I think) I think you would see significant improvement. The other option is upgrade the tyres and tubes for now and save youre cash for some better wheels. You will get a noticeable improvement over the Mondos if youre still using them. GP4000s or the Pro 3s would be an option
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I have a 2011 Allez Elite and have just bought some Fulcrum 5's along with some lightweight tubes and Ultremo ZX tyres. Weight saving is about 700g over the standard Mavic CXP22's and tyres.

My first ride on them is the Cheshire Cat 100 mile Sportive on Sunday so I don't know how they feel yet but the bike feels lighter to pick up.
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    I have just bought some RS80's and Conti GP4000's. Awesome combination, you wouldnt be dissapointed. As Lef said, £311 at ribble is a bargain
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Cheers guys, really useful to hear your opinions. I think I better do some more research in that case :)