Sports Tracker coming to Android and iPhone

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2011 in MTB general
The excellent Sports Tracker that started out life as a free app from Nokia, then spun off to an independent company, is coming to both Android and iPhone also...

http://www.sports-tracker.com/blog/2011 ... nd-iphone/

HR monitor stuff won't work with iPhone though it seems.

Hopefully you get the same offline ability as on Nokia as well, so you can track without a data connection (and if it's cached the maps you get the maps too).

Also I'd hope it was free to you guys same as Nokia.

No word on Win Phone version, especially a Nokia Win Phone version - lol.

Comments

• mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Looks pretty good - I use Sportypal at the moment which is pretty good, however the Polar HR compatibility of that there Sports Tracker is a very good idea - plus the interface looks swish too - i'll keep an eye out for that, cheers!
    J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Anonymous
    The web site to view the uploaded tracks is nice too, but it is also incredibly Flash heavy. The hope is they may redo it at some point or provide a 'light' version.
  • Anonymous
    I never got Sport tracker to work on my old Nokia for some reason.
    What advantages does it have over, for example, Endomondo?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    So if you don't have a HRM, what does SportTracker do for you?

Genuine question, I'm wondering whether it's worth getting :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I liked sports tracker, I've switched to Endomondo now that I've got a new phone, and it seems to do pretty much the same thing. I do like the comparisons of miles on Endomondo, seeing how many sub 3 minute miles I can get on my commute is interesting! :lol:

Now that I've switched I might just stick with Endo. Sports tracker didi give a lot of info though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    I never got Sport tracker to work on my old Nokia for some reason.
    What advantages does it have over, for example, Endomondo?
    They're fairly similar. On my Nokia I mainly found Endomondo was a bit simple when I looked at it. It also appeared to need an online connection whereas Sports Tracker works fine offline, including displaying any cached maps. I preferred the ST web site also, despite the Flash stuff.

I think it's come on a bit though since then.

I generally use Sports Tracker though because it was the first app to do this kind of thing it did it well, and was free. Didn't see the need to switch to Endomondo when it came out.

Oh, and Sports Tracker can upload photos you've shot during the workout, attaching them to the route. Not sure about Endomondo.
    MrChuck wrote:
    So if you don't have a HRM, what does SportTracker do for you?

Genuine question, I'm wondering whether it's worth getting :D
    Tracks your route, tells you the distance you've gone, speed, altitude, calculates pace, can do laps and sectors, estimates calorie burn (though this is not going to be perfect), and basically gives you a load of geeky stats.

Here's a typical track from CYB - http://bit.ly/fpKaBN

Thing is, it's free (same as Endomondo), so worth taking a look for no money. Well, at least free on Nokia. Whether Apple & Android stores charge is another matter.
  • Anonymous
    Sportstracker looks crap. It says you only managed 6.7Kph on the addam's family section!
  • Superfli
    Superfli Posts: 17
    Sports-Tracker is a fantastic app. The only reason why I continued with Nokia (now N8) is because I have a lot of history I dont want to loose. The wife has an android, friedns have iphones, none of their apps come close.
    Multiple activities
    Media uploads - photos inserted, even tells you of music you are listening to
    Configurable disciplines - eg can set to autopause at <3mph for cycling, 1mph for running etc
    Uploads straight to facebook/twitter
    Records altitude, speed, pace, distance, steps, calories..
    Records route, downloadable to gpx
    Can record HR with additional HR monitor
    Very comprehensive website, if a bit OTT

Unfortunately it did loose a couple of features when the website was updated last year - photos cant be moved on route, and you cant create own route if say GPS failed.

The missus will be pleased :-)
    http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk
    09 SC Heckler, custom build
    RockLobster 853, custom build
  • Anonymous
    Sportstracker looks crap. It says you only managed 6.7Kph on the addam's family section!
    Well, that's quite possible given my state of unfitness and general lazy weekend warrior attitude to riding :D.
  • Anonymous
    But the addams family is all downhill :? :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Maybe I came off :D. Can't remember now.
  • I have sportypal, endemondo and sports tracker installed on my android.

Sportypal i installed about a year ago for free, but its satellites tend to drop out on rides, its battery heavy and its information basic. website is not much to look at either.

I then went for endemondo, which is the easiest to use, can start it up in next to no time and it uploads as you cycle. But again the information they provide you is basic, and i really wanted to know how much climbing i was doing. so...

I took a flyer on sports tracker, which at £6 was a big risk and at first i was incredibly unhappy. took ages to locate a satellite, 5 mins or so which if you're ready to get going is frustrating. Secondly, it used to have a terrible habit of stopping tracks randomly for no reason. Since the last update that has improved but it can take up to an hour to upload tracks which is just infuriating. Its climbing stats and heart rate monitor options make up for it.

So sportypal was good but now bettered, endemondo I use for the commute (which is flat) because its start and go feature as well as auto upload make it convenient and i use sports tracker for the long weekend jaunts when you want some proper stats.
  • Anonymous
    Endomondo tracks your climb as well, and gives you total for ascent/descent.
  • Superfli
    Superfli Posts: 17
    Monkey Murphia, SportstrackerPro you have for Android is not the same as Sports-Tracker for Nokia (the OP). My wife bought that app after being disappointed with Endomondo. It doesnt seem to post to facebook well? Only a link to your route (which you have to do via the webpage?) and no summary
    http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk
    09 SC Heckler, custom build
    RockLobster 853, custom build