Cracks in helmet

JD96
JD96 Posts: 21
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I have two cracks in my road helmet from falls, one on the left side and one on the front. They both go all the way through the helmet but are very thin.
Do I need a new helmet?
I can't find much on the internet about this.
Thanks very much

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    JD96 wrote:
    Do I need a new helmet?

Yes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,899
    if there's ANY crack, you need a new helmet

helmets absorb impact force and dissipate it by cracking, crushing, etc., rather than your head doing it

this is a one-shot process, once cracked, the helmet provides far less protection

if it's a giro one, there's a reduced cost crash replacement program...

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/

if it's another make, check if there's something similar
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    JD96 wrote:
    I have two cracks in my road helmet from falls, one on the left side and one on the front. They both go all the way through the helmet but are very thin.
    Do I need a new helmet?
    I can't find much on the internet about this.
    Thanks very much

No, you'll be fine, just get some duct tape, honest, it will hold it all together just nicely promise...

Love n hugs

DD

PS sorry for the sarcasm but after one impact fall you need another helmet. Look at the crash replacements offered. What make is it?
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    'Two' cracks from 'fall'(s) don't think you realise how lucky you have been, you should have replaced it after the 1st fall/crack.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...are the contents of the helmet worth preserving? :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Everytime I read a topic like this I have to check that it's not April 1st.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    As above!
    I check my helmet if I drop it at home...on the carpet!!! :)

Now you have an excuse to treat yourself to a nice, new helmet :)
  • pingpong
    pingpong Posts: 97
    Sling it :D
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Cracked helmet - sounds painful :cry:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Count yourself lucky you crashed yours and got some value out of it! I stupidly put my Atmos in the garage behind the rear wheel of my car and reversed over it :oops:

Didn't bother with the crash replacement as it would have cost £65 plus postage and didn't have original receipt so I got a new LAS Victory which is far more comfortable anyway.

Glued up the Atmos and have PM'd Speedking so hopefully he'll buy it and we can have another classic thread :twisted:
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Hit it with a lump hammer and then show it your mates down the pub: "Look what I survived" ... "A truck roled over my head".
  • VintageGt
    VintageGt Posts: 33
    Dont even consider using it ever again. Put it on the floor and stamp on it so that the temptation is well and truly gone then buy a new one and do not ride your bike again until you've done this. A cheap, new helmet is way better than an expensive, damaged one. We don't need another 'cyclist dead' headline! :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Slight over reaction there. But yeah - new helmet time.
  • sungod wrote:
    if there's ANY crack, you need a (new) helmet
    what are we talking about here? is this a slip from the girls in lycra thread?
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    The amazing thing is that the guy that started this topic hasn't responded. :shock: