cosmetic laquer damage

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Riding the winter bike.. and it is still more or less pristine as it was cleaned after every mucky ride out.... but I did take my Cannodale out 1 Sunday in january... it had been a dry sunny day and I had thought I had cleaned it up ok before i stuck back in the shed.. this week.. prepping it for 1st race at weekend.. noticed salt damage to the chainrings for example... merely cosmetic but totally annoying as it has also crept into the inside of the bb30 crank on drive side - again only cosmetic

anyone any handy household hints for restoration of alloy?

Comments

• markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Yes you can buy metal polish i use it to clean my alloy fuel tank on my truck.
    After all the salt during winter it leaves like little pits over the tank.
    What you do is buff it up until it goes black then polish off, it makes it soooooooo shiny.
    hope this helps.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    It depends on the finish. Bare metal can be polished as markyone says. However, most aluminium-alloy bike components are either anodised or lacquered, neither of which can be restored except by removing the finish entirely. That's possible, by sanding and polishing, but it will leave a surface more vulnerable than before to corrosion, unless you're prepared to re-lacquer, an involved process.

I'd suggest just cleaning the bike and letting the rest be. Chainrings are service items, in any case.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Didnt think a miracle cure of white vinegar and soot existed.....;-)
    already saving up for a sram red bb30 chainset to get bike up to pristine level again.. excuse is I prefer to race with a 53 outer ring.... cheapest I've seen 225 from Merlin.... so it's an expensive lesson learnt, to keep best bike under the bed for winter.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Doesn't say much for Cannondales, does it? One ride, dry sunny day, cleaned after ride?